Too much sulphites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I did a dessert wine kit that I added the stabilization pack on 2/19, on 3/19 I racked and added 1/8 tsp k meta and was going to let it age till June than bottle. I was bored and decided to bottle but forgot I had notes on my phone about my steps. I thought I just stabilized 2/19 so I added an 1/8 of k meta again today and bottled.
Should I worry about that? I have no clue what ppm its at. It was a 3 gallon kit Btw.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I did a dessert wine kit that I added the stabilization pack on 2/19, on 3/19 I racked and added 1/8 tsp k meta and was going to let it age till June than bottle. I was bored and decided to bottle but forgot I had notes on my phone about my steps. I thought I just stabilized 2/19 so I added an 1/8 of k meta again today and bottled.
Should I worry about that? I have no clue what ppm its at. It was a 3 gallon kit Btw.
Though you may have nearly double the amount of sulfites we typically put in our wines, you did it over a two month period, lots of folks would add the additional 1/8 tsp every three months, so you're really not that far off of plan. In any case, it'll still be well below the threshold that one can taste the sulfites and your wine is well protected and should last many years.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though you may have nearly double the amount of sulfites we typically put in our wines, you did it over a two month period, lots of folks would add the additional 1/8 tsp every three months, so you're really not that far off of plan. In any case, it'll still be well below the threshold that one can taste the sulfites and your wine is well protected and should last many years.
So besides the tastes, there are no health consequences? My mouth felt funny so it made me think.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered an so2 tester to put my mind at ease. The oxygenation one. Videos seem to show it works well. Much more time consuming than the vinmetrica.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered an so2 tester to put my mind at ease. The oxygenation one. Videos seem to show it works well. Much more time consuming than the vinmetrica.
One thing that might 'put [your] mind at ease' is that the commercial limit for SO2 is 350ppm. You're no where near that number with your recent additions. Most people would be not only be unaffected by your additions but wouldn't even notice them unless tipped off.

In short, I think you're fine...and, so is the wine.

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting with @Johnd taste comes up. An excess of sulphite will have a burnt match taste. Does the wine have a match like note. The taste threshold for most folks is 100ppm. In the vinters club several of the wives will pick it up but 98% of the club don’t.

Sulphites in foods are considered safe to consume, ,,, we use quite a bit in foods that range from marishino cherries to juice. Sulphite disappear with time, reacting with/ chemically reducing oxidized organic molecules and then becomes part of the background sulphur. The SO4 ion is also permitted in food but not one of the favored acids. My impression is H2SO4 contributes a bitter taste. ,,, By the way sulphur is an essential element.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not even close to the threshold at which sensitive people supposedly can detect sulfite.

As others have noted, many foods have much higher sulfite levels
Gail at
That's not even close to the threshold at which sensitive people supposedly can detect sulfite.

As others have noted, many foods have much higher sulfite levels
What's got me worried is Gail at winexpert stated that the apres wine kit comes with 3.5 grams of sulfite in the stabilizing packet.
That's around 180 ppm in 3 gallons if my research was correct. Plus my 1/4 tsp i added over the next 2 months.
I dont taste anything. Im just being paranoid perhaps. I just don't want to sicken anyone.

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is unlikely that you will sicken 99.999% of the population. Wines, even organic wines will contain sulphites, yeast produce sulphites. Yes as an industry to limit liability there are warning statements on wines manufactured with added sulphites. Folks that have had allergy like reactions with high sulphite foods read labels and self identify. >>>> You should let folks know you use sulphites even if you have literally followed kit directions.

You risk of causing a reaction with this wine is low. ,,,, another way of saying this is that industry is not going to stop using sulphites because of this level of risk, or the FDA does not consider the population risk great enough to outlaw metabisulphite.
I dont taste anything. , Im just being paranoid perhaps.
I just don't want to sicken anyone.

Last edited: