Too much sugar??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidvBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys. I started my first batch of Cabernet Sauvignon from a kit yesterday. The SG was 110, this on my hydrometer sits 5 points below 1.1. Is this too much sugar for the ferment to begin. I doubled up the kit therefore doubling the sugar and nutrafine. I didn't double up the yeast following advice from my local home brew store. I think I may have put about 100g extra brewing sugar. Would this be the reason I haven't had bubbles through airlock. The top
Of the brew was a bit foamy and I'm using plastic bucket with a pretty decent airtight lid when pressed obviously does produce bubbles through airlock indicating the seal is tight. Do I just need to be a bit more patient or add more water?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

open up your lid and just lay it on top loose or use a towel istead of the lid. the fermentation needs air at the start

Hey guys. I started my first batch of Cabernet Sauvignon from a kit yesterday. The SG was 110, this on my hydrometer sits 5 points below 1.1.

Not directly germane to your question, but I don't think you have quite figured out how to take a SG reading. Near the top of the thin glass part, there should be a number marked 1.000. Below that, there are dashed lines, then the number 10, more dashed lines, the number 20, etc, so it looks like this:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
etc.
(skipping ahead)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
etc.

If the wine were at the first "10" mark in the above example, the SG would be 1.010. If it were at the second "10" mark, the SG would be 1.110. (Please always quote your SG to 3 decimal places, and use the leading "1" if appropriate.)

Was your wine at the second "10" mark in my diagram?

Thanks sour grapes, my hydrometer must be a little different as where you have said there would be a second 10, mine goes 1.100 then to 110,

Your info has certainly helped me understand it though so thanks.

Yes mine is at the second position mentioned making the reading 1.110. Is that too high?

My ferment (is this the correct termonology?) currently looks like this. ImageUploadedByWine Making1393169649.807138.jpg

Oh, you are in fine shape! Yes, from your description, you started at SG = 1.110. This is a bit on the high side, but not too high to prevent a solid fermentation from taking off. It will likely result in an alcohol level by volume (ABV) of about 15%. This is high, but not rocket fuel.

Your picture is showing exactly what it should be showing at this stage. It will really take off in the next few days.

Nice one, I'm a nervous wreck. Can't wait until I've got a few batches under my belt. Can start adding oak and other bits to help
It along

My ferment (is this the correct termonology?) currently looks like this.

Let me take a stab at this question, too. Yes, people use that terminology. The word "ferment" in your sentence is acting as a noun, but was derived from a verb. Thus, it is called verbal noun. The process of becoming a verbal noun is called nominalization.

Of course, we already have a noun that was derived from that verb: fermentation. That noun underwent a change in form to clearly indicate that it is a noun. However, we also use some verbs as nouns without any change in form, like bruise.

For a longer word that can function as either noun or verb with no change in form, we often change the syllable that is stressed to indicate which sense we mean. For example, the word record can be used as a noun (RE-cord) or a verb (re-CORD). I find it interesting that Wikipedia lists "ferment" as one of those initial-stress-derived nouns, but I am not sure that I personally change the stress. That is, Wiki claims we say FER-ment for the noun (and, of course, fer-MENT for the verb). I think I may say "fer-MENT for both, although it is not something I say aloud enough to be sure.

Anyway, you can say ferment as a noun (instead of fermentation) on this forum without embarrassment!

R,R,R!! Any time you've acquired new info, you've been taught! Whether you know it or not, by having to read through answers to your questions (no matter how lengthy), you've been introduced to the winemakers bestest bit of knowledge,,,,,,, PATIENCE!!

I certainly have, I really appreciate it. As the Guinness ad says: 'good things come to those who wait'

I just took a reading which shows fermentation is happening. Dropped from 1.110 to 1.107 giving me so far about 5.25%.

My kit requires me to top up my water to 9ltrs (adding 2ltrs) of boiled, cooled water.

Will this significantly drop my end ABV and how do I work out the ABV is I am creating a drop by adding water?

Cheers

I am confused. Your kit direction ask you to pitch the yeast, and then some time later add water? I have not come across that before. Can you tell us what kit this is?

Not sure where you are getting that 5.25% figure. I have your present ABV at (1.110-1.107)*131=0.4%.

Hmmm interesting, I used an online calculator. I'm using the wilkinsons Cabernet Sauvignon kit where I had to add 3.6 ltrs water to the juice with yeast and nutrafine (doubled up a six bottle kit), it then says to add cool boiled water on day three to top up to 9ltrs.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1393275292.832131.jpg

Here's screen shot from brewers friend.

What I don't know from the kit is when I should siphon into secondary fermenter?

It says seven days after adding water to add the stabiliser and finings then over 24 hours shake gently to degas.

Won't shaking if in the first fermenter just shake the sediment back into the wine although it does say after 24 hours to leave for 10 days to clear so that probably answers that.

I just took a reading which shows fermentation is happening. Dropped from 1.110 to 1.107 giving me so far about 5.25%.

Your question (bolded above) said 1.107, and your screenshot says 1.070.

Indeed, (1.110-1.070)*131=5.24%.

Yes, adding water will lower your eventual ABV. You can use a Pearson's square to figure out what the OG would have been if you had added all that water in the beginning. I wonder why that kit has you do things in that order?!

Very strange. I thought that would have been normal. Not good for a first brew as I'm using a kit I got as a gift and won't be buying again as my local home brew store is much more cost effective.

Are you able to tell when I should transfer to secondary fermenter? Should I do this tomorrow when adding the water or should I transfer when I want to clear?

No it doesn't account for a secondary fermenter at all. What is the benefit of a secondary fermenter?

If it yields a better / clearer wine then is rather do it.

The benefit is reduced risk of oxidation. Generally, the first vessel you ferment in is a bucket. This gives lots of room for the foaming, etc., that often accompanies vigorous fermentation. As the fermentation slows down, it is advisable to transfer to a vessel such as a carboy that has a neck at the top. This way, the amount of your wine that is exposed to air is reduced. From this stage in the wine's development forward, you want to minimize air contact to reduce oxidation.

Also, you want to get your wine off of the lees that accumulate on the bottom of the first vessel. If left too long, the yeast can break down and give off flavors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back