Too much dry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juventude

Reaction score
My wines tend to go too much dry and i don't understand the art of back sweeting as i always tend to go out with the dose even if i try to go 100 g of sugar at a time for the gal.... Please i meed assistance on this issue... I also found another mistake that i was doing with my wine when washing upyhe bottlspp

juventude said:
My wines tend to go too much dry and i don't understand the art of back sweeting as i always tend to go out with the dose even if i try to go 100 g of sugar at a time for the gal.... Please i meed assistance on this issue... I also found another mistake that i was doing with my wine when washing upyhe bottlspp

The bottleswere washed withmrtabisfste unfortunatfely ruining th e tasteof th e product

I am pretty new to this too but here is how I do it. I have found if I run my wine dry, ie: .990-.995, I will add 2/3c-3/4c sugar and it will sweeten it up to my liking. I just dump it in my 1 gal. carboy and stir it very well for a couple of minutes. Never had a problem and as long as my wine was clear to start with, the sugar won't affect that a bit.

If you're going to backsweeten use sorbate and k meta. Stirred separately. Wait a few days to clear then backsweeten.
You risk restarting fermentation by not using sorbate.

You should always let your wines finish to dry.

Almost every new winemaker has a little trouble trying to get a handle on backsweetening. Here's how we approached it- We'd sweeten the wine to our liking, then take a hydrometer test and make a note of how much sugar it took to get to that SG. Next time we bottled, all we had to do was look at our notes.

You'll end up using different SG's depending on the wines you make. Whites, which typically have a lower PH. may need a touch more sugar to balance out the acid. On wines that have delicate flavors, you'll want to be careful with how much sugar you use in order not to tamp down the flavor.

Once you have the sugar amounts written down for all the wines you make, you'll just refer to your notes and not have to take SG readings every time you bottle.

As a side note, you should always take PH readings and adjust your acids pre-ferment so that your wines are nicely balanced and you're not trying to use sugar to mask high acidity. High acidity is a wine fault due to lack of adjustment and sugar can't balance out acids that are way out of line.

Back