Too long in secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_D

Junior
Reaction score
Racked an Apple/Rasberry that I made from Old Orchard concentrate to secondary at the end of January. Thought I had stabilized it, but now looking at my notes this morning, I realized I didn't. Will it being in the secondary and not being stabilized ruin it? Or is it ok?

If it looks ok and smells ok then you are fine. Its probably still loaded with CO2 anyway. Just get some sulfites in there now and also some sorbate if you plan on sweetening it.

After I posted previously, I took a hydrometer reading and based on that I must have backsweetened it already. Which I would have added sorbate and k-meta and just forgot to add my notes to the tag on the carboy. I did a couple of batches on the same night.

I use tags on my carboys now instead of writing in a book. It's easier to see at a glance where each wine is at in it's life.

Once finished the tags all go in a box for reference if needbe.

I use tags on my carboys now instead of writing in a book. It's easier to see at a glance where each wine is at in it's life.

Once finished the tags all go in a box for reference if needbe.

I also have tags on each carboy. Just forgot to put my notes on it. I use shipping tags that I got at Staples.

Ol Otis uses a grease pencil! Man, you can fill that whole carboy up with notes then, and wipe 'em right off for the next batch.

After I posted previously, I took a hydrometer reading and based on that I must have backsweetened it already. Which I would have added sorbate and k-meta and just forgot to add my notes to the tag on the carboy. I did a couple of batches on the same night.
Can't imagine forgetin to write down any notes after a long nite or maybe a short one of checkin wines and samplin and all the stuff that goes with being in the cellar. Oh btw, been there done that, LOL, Arne.

Latest posts

Back