Too Hot--Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalwittmer

Junior
Reaction score
I just started my first 6 gallon winekit batch and a day one snafu has me wondering if I should just "Pitch" the whole batch now. I have the first step directions followed to a T, except the environment temperature. As a result of a bad space heater setting I have juice that got to 140 degrees F and my yeast is dead. My question is can I pitch new yeast and still save this wine or has something toxic happened to my juice that I should be concerned with and just dump the whole batch. I would appreciate any thoughts on this please.

No need to toss it out, but at the same time it's hard to say what effect it may have on the eventual quality. How long was it hot? Is it back to a normal temperature now? I recommend that you get a new packet of yeast and give it a shot. Nothing to lose by trying. You won't have created anything toxic.

Keep in mind that wine kit juice is heated to about 160 (don't quote me on the actual temp) for about 2 minutes as part of pasteurization, and then cooled down quickly.

Try tasting the juice, if it still tastes like grape juice I think you're fine. If it tastes like burnt brakes on an 18 wheeler going down the mountain then you might have an issue :)

Wine is generally hardier than most of us think. Good luck.

No need to toss it out, but at the same time it's hard to say what effect it may have on the eventual quality. How long was it hot? Is it back to a normal temperature now? I recommend that you get a new packet of yeast and give it a shot. Nothing to lose by trying. You won't have created anything toxic.

Keep in mind that wine kit juice is heated to about 160 (don't quote me on the actual temp) for about 2 minutes as part of pasteurization, and then cooled down quickly.

Try tasting the juice, if it still tastes like grape juice I think you're fine. If it tastes like burnt brakes on an 18 wheeler going down the mountain then you might have an issue :)

Wine is generally hardier than most of us think. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback, will taste and pitch new yeast if its not terrible. I set it in closet last night and for 12 hours heat was on to get get the room HOT so it was a slow heating to 140 when I checked juice temp, its a Petite Syrah kit.

I had a similar problem but the wine was fermenting when the heater malfunctioned ( I now own several brew belts ) it fermented quick and I also thought I ruined it - considering it went up to 120 F.

But 12 months latter - it tastes great !

We need some blooper videos! :)) I seriously love reading other folks's little or big SNAFU'S. And the problem solvers advice. Burnt 18 wheeler brakes going down a mountain...made me crack up! So maybe it won't be a Petite Syrah, heck it may be full grown.

Back