Too big carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
Need some advice....

Trying to increase my equipment, I acquired a 6.5G glass carboy. I normally do 6G kits....

Do I need to use marbles now to make up for the space? Any other ideas? I thought of using as primary but then...dont know if wise due to the bag of skins.

thanks in advance...

A gallon is 231 cubic inches, a 1/2" diameter marble is .065 cubic inches.

Math says 1770 marbles will make up just aboul half a gallons volume.

Thats a lot of marbles!

I almost always do 6 gal kits. I use a 7.4 gal fermenting bucket, then rack into the 6.5 gal carboy for the secondary. When I'm ready to clear, I always end up with less than 6 gal so I rack down to a 5 gal then use a smaller vessel for the rest. A wine bottle or whatever is empty.
I have used marbles, but racking down is the way to go for sure.

After just over a year I'm still sorting out the best way to deal with filling the head space when using my Italian glass carboy's. If the kit instructions mention to top off with water I wlll use water but no more than 500ML. After that it is marbles and/or similar wine. I seem now to be gravitating to more use my two Better Bottles (BB) which require very little topping off. If I were to do it over again I'd have one Italian glass carboy and four BB. If I could I would trade two of my glass for two BB.

Thanks for the advice, very helpfull...I happen to also have a 5G around...I may just drink the excess :)

I always use my 6.5 gal for secondary, I clear and age in the 6 gal. I just use whatever it takes to top off. With 400 bottles of wine on hand using 2-3 if needed is no big deal.

Back