Todd's (Uncle Herman's) 2012 Blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
I ended up with 50lbs of Blackberries this yr from my plants and put 30lbs to fermenting today using Herman's recipe (he is a friend of mine) as listed on John Folse's web site. That is enough for 10 gallons. I have had the pleasure of tasting his blackberry wine before and it is very good so I figured I would start there. Here is the recipe as listed on the web site

15 pounds blackberries
12 ½ pounds sugar
3 lemons
1 package yeast (KV 116

METHOD:
In a large stockpot, place blackberries with 3 gallons of water. Bring to a rolling boil, remove from heat and allow to cool. Drain the fruit from the water and return water to the stockpot. Squeeze the blackberry juice through a cheesecloth and into the 3 gallons of water. Bring the stockpot to a low simmer and dissolve the sugar into the hot liquid, stirring constantly. Do not boil. Using a wire whisk, stir constantly to ensure that sugar is totally dissolved. Squeeze the juice from 3 lemons and strain into the sugar/juice mixture. Remove from heat and allow to cool to 90 degrees F. Add 1 package of yeast. (NOTE: The yeast will be killed if water temperature is over 90.) In a 5-gallon water bottle place one gallon of cold tap water. Add the 3-gallon juice mixture to the bottle. Shake vigorously to blend well. Place a rubber or cork stopper with manometer attached in the neck of the bottle. Fill manometer with water according to package directions. A manometer is available at your local wine or beer enthusiast store. Let stand in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks. Siphon the contents into approximately 17 fifth-sized bottles, cap and store in a cool place for approximately 6 months. If bounce is desired in place of wine, add ½ cup brandy into each fifth-sized bottle prior to filling with the wine.

I have altered the process as I use a cold soak instead of the hot water version here plus I like to do my testing and get my numbers for the specific gravity and acid levels. I am going to ferment this to dry and then back sweeten this to a semi dry level.

Hey there ToddRod

Sounds like you were busy like me.... I bottled up some wine that has been sitting around and caught up on my racking schedule. I racked and filtered 6 gallons of French Oaked Blackberry, racked 6 gallons of blueberry I started back in December. I like the looks of your recipe. I have 5 gallons of steam juiced blackberry juice left over from 2010 that have been canned and are awaiting a yeast feast.

yes Gaudet, I have been very busy. This yr looks to be my best yr as for as Muscadine production. Will you need any as I am sure I will have plenty of extra red and white muscadine grapes this yr.

I ended up using 71B yeast for this fermentation. I also put all the fruit in one container with enough sugar and water to get the must to a SG of 1.10. I will let this ferment for 5-6 days and then split it in half (since it is a 10 gal batch) and put in 2 carboys. Then I will fill to the top with water / sugar mixture of SG 1.10 and do the final acid adjustment.

I thought about adding 1-2 cans of Welch's red grape or concord to each carboy. Any opinions on that?

I ended up using 71B yeast for this fermentation. I also put all the fruit in one container with enough sugar and water to get the must to a SG of 1.10. I will let this ferment for 5-6 days and then split it in half (since it is a 10 gal batch) and put in 2 carboys. Then I will fill to the top with water / sugar mixture of SG 1.10 and do the final acid adjustment.

I thought about adding 1-2 cans of Welch's red grape or concord to each carboy. Any opinions on that?

I've only made about 4 batches of muscadine myself. All were with Carlos. Even the port I made. I have used the welches red grape. It should add some more body and color if you need it. My vines are loaded with fruit 2 ison and 1 dixie red. I hope to make about 12 gallons with this year and last year's fruit (which is sitting patiently in the freezer)

Latest posts

Back