Toasting level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartm

Reaction score
I read recently something that seem odd and just wanted to get some clarification before I try using the oak chips.

A light toasting on the chips gives a richer oak flavor while a heavy toast gives a lighter oak flavor. I thought it was the opposite until I read this.

Maybe someone here can confirm this. What else should I consider when choosing a toasting level for my oak chips?

Thanks for the help...

I found this guide at the barrel mil.

Heavy Toast brings pronounced caramelized, carbonized and
toast flavors very quickly - it doesn't need much contact time. It is
most often used in big, bold red wines

Medium Plus Toast
is between Medium and Heavy Toast. It has aromas of honey, roasted nuts
and a hint of coffee and spices. It seems to be the ideal toast level
for red wines

Medium Toast has less
tannins but more bouquet, so will impart more aroma than flavor. It has
a warm, sweet character with strong vanilla overtones

Light Toast fresh oak, coconut and fruit flavors

French oak tends to be mellower than American which is more pronounced.

VC

Hartm,

European oaks tend to release their oaky character slower than their American counterparts. The flavors provided by the oak also differs between the types of oaks. I believe that the statement referenced in your post about the toasting vs. oak character means how much of the actual wood is coming through compared to the 'burned wood' that is made by toasting. For instance, the more lightly toasted (= burned) the oak, the more you're going to get the essence of the wood. The more heavily toasted the oak, the more you'll get the essence of the toasting. So a heavily toasted oak can introduce a more smoke-like flavor while a medium toasted oak can introduce caramel, for example.

- Jim

Back