To Soak, or not to Soak (corks)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainsurgeon

Reaction score
We started to hi-jack another thread so I thought I would start a separate one on soaking corks. I am a little surprised at the number of people here that seem to go to extreme measures to make sure their corks are sanitized. I never gave it a thought. After bottling and consuming about 70 kits (no, I didn't drink them all :h), I never noticed any bacteria issues in the bottles or on the corks. I keep my corks dry and sealed in the bag they came in until I use them for bottling. After reading through the thread on dimpled corks I'm having second thoughts on whether to take precautions or not.

Lets hear from some of you soaker's out there.

I used to wet mine in kmeta before cooking but I've had them back out partially. If your buying 50 to 100 corks at a time and using them quick then keeping them in the bag they came in is probably fine but I buy mine in bulk so I get them for .10 each. Next time I'm thinking about ordering on line but hate to pay the setup fee for a personalized cork. Still after the first order they are about .12 each when ordered by the 1000

If you buy corks from a reputable source and store unused corks properly, there's no need to go to extreme measures. I don't buy in very large numbers and keep bags sealed. Sanitizing for several days with K-meta then handles anything that got past me.

I've bought the 1+1, and some Daim II, supposedly named after some process, I've never soaked washed anything, but I do use them blue gloves like the nurses an Doc's wear. and for my put back for awhile country wines I buy Flor Quality corks, on them it say do not soak and keep unused corks in original packaging but them cost out the yeng yang. so I use them for very long storage, I'll probably be gone when they get pulled, but I'm not planning to miss out on some ten year old elderberry, I aint had a glass of ten year old elderberry since the old-timers around here so It's been close to 25 years since I have had the honor of sipping a good vintage elderberry,
Dawg::

by the thousand huh,
if it weren't for getting my head blowed off I'd want your address on know when you weren't around must be a ton of good wine around there somewhere, but I'm allergic to hot led moving towards me,,,LOL:HB
Dawg
::

I used to wet mine in kmeta before cooking but I've had them back out partially. If your buying 50 to 100 corks at a time and using them quick then keeping them in the bag they came in is probably fine but I buy mine in bulk so I get them for .10 each. Next time I'm thinking about ordering on line but hate to pay the setup fee for a personalized cork. Still after the first order they are about .12 each when ordered by the 1000

I just use a semi-large Rubbermaid bowl with lid. I put about a 1/4" of k-meta solution in the bottom with the corks sitting in a small bowl that sits in the container. Leave them in there for five to ten minutes or so with the lid on and the fumes from the k-meta solution will sanitize them.

No wet corks and they are sanitized in minutes! If I'm doing a lot more corks, I will use a Cool Whip bowl which can hold a lot more corks (closer to 50 I believe) and still fits inside the bowl. If I need even more corks, this process as noted only takes about 5-10 minutes, so I can do it multiple times while I prep bottles or whatever.

KfHDLzQ1_LPOkmGKXdIltTkSg0800X7Qpfm0R_Xj3pqwOBHVDkvpXR4XtpYzbSScrGXmibjmwZODzn3SUpw1u1SAI97QGIauXHTKx3G4BjYu7UlT8pa70l2cUdl9j5YYflTFo4G6SU5cQMRYXmgSeFZCQO3YBJsofmFOEnjt4Xjih62TamND_qLsX-b-DlIUEETbfBJ9s0VSFkBYokMsVhMG4CZGZ590Llb5Of03_gqsFJHpPam2m7wxWHS8txWYuB94qT-mB-iYyXCAyzrDxXwjTdcenRri0wQqtRj4RPZKovaaTFyCFP2NYH5urlTiixsGzT0BjIsbom8PKaIKGdKTJwj_MBhkrgH3HEBGs7MiTqpb1dgkjqLiN4OBMmcKLfd91f9QkbV2tZvhAA5HhKl_TjWCWL_NZzEQSGheIicKqC9UflVQuApV8oEfCGrGDwur3QH0pWnjjjiYX5UYpVkXffvDULcf3mpqIHhKpNMGd3e-oKLDINa_oqMwsBF4C6UvTnRua5lDKhzTIkPmw4jKwYW7XsbqHrGBVahAV_2eN3W-Wabo9cp83sxn6aoYPgMF5-VFZNG_pU6LL7fUjMGoxnGQspCq=w1306-h979-no

MANY years ago I was told to soak your corks IF you used a hand corker (they went in easier). If you used a floor or bench corker there was NO soaking.

I just use a semi-large Rubbermaid bowl with lid. I put about a 1/4" of k-meta solution in the bottom with the corks sitting in a small bowl that sits in the container. Leave them in there for five to ten minutes or so with the lid on and the fumes from the k-meta solution will sanitize them.

No wet corks and they are sanitized in minutes! If I'm doing a lot more corks, I will use a Cool Whip bowl which can hold a lot more corks (closer to 50 I believe) and still fits inside the bowl. If I need even more corks, this process as noted only takes about 5-10 minutes, so I can do it multiple times while I prep bottles or whatever.

KfHDLzQ1_LPOkmGKXdIltTkSg0800X7Qpfm0R_Xj3pqwOBHVDkvpXR4XtpYzbSScrGXmibjmwZODzn3SUpw1u1SAI97QGIauXHTKx3G4BjYu7UlT8pa70l2cUdl9j5YYflTFo4G6SU5cQMRYXmgSeFZCQO3YBJsofmFOEnjt4Xjih62TamND_qLsX-b-DlIUEETbfBJ9s0VSFkBYokMsVhMG4CZGZ590Llb5Of03_gqsFJHpPam2m7wxWHS8txWYuB94qT-mB-iYyXCAyzrDxXwjTdcenRri0wQqtRj4RPZKovaaTFyCFP2NYH5urlTiixsGzT0BjIsbom8PKaIKGdKTJwj_MBhkrgH3HEBGs7MiTqpb1dgkjqLiN4OBMmcKLfd91f9QkbV2tZvhAA5HhKl_TjWCWL_NZzEQSGheIicKqC9UflVQuApV8oEfCGrGDwur3QH0pWnjjjiYX5UYpVkXffvDULcf3mpqIHhKpNMGd3e-oKLDINa_oqMwsBF4C6UvTnRua5lDKhzTIkPmw4jKwYW7XsbqHrGBVahAV_2eN3W-Wabo9cp83sxn6aoYPgMF5-VFZNG_pU6LL7fUjMGoxnGQspCq=w1306-h979-no

Great idea, thanks! When you say K-meta solution, you are mixing with water (?) and at what ratio? And 7% doesn't help me. I need say, 1 1/2 tsp per cup of water or what ever.

Last edited:

I would like to buy them for .12 but 1000 corks would last me about 5 years. I''m paying about .20 by the 100. I would like to find a local vintner to split a batch with though. I would also like to do some trading to get more of a variety in my cellar. Anyone here in the Grand Rapids area of MN?

I'm pasting the same summary of guidance from 6 different wine makiing forums/help sources.

Bottom line after you read this is - where did your corks come from? If you know they were sanitized, coated and properly sealed AND you use a floor corker, stand corker the consensus is no need to clean, sanitize, soak or even rinse them. BUT if you use a hand corker, your corks came in zip lock baggie, or the once sealed bag has been around for a while - sanitizing is probably not a bad idea. And there is the above 'dry sanitization method which may not help with hand corkers.

Keep in mind that the packages I see corks in say nothing about coatings, sanitization etc on them. While you may not have any problems - without some statement on the package you have no certainty of knowing about the corks condition. There are always people out there trying to make a little more money and willing to cut corners. (China sourced products etc)

Checked out 6 sources and a short summary...

1) http://www.eckraus.com/blog/preparin...-homemade-wine
Recommends: Rinsing or soaking does not suggest for or against boiling.

2) https://winemakermag.com/630-should-...or-to-bottling
Recommends: Insert dry - assumes all corks now are pre-sanitized and coated properly.

3) http://www.midwestsupplies.com/how-to-prepare-corks
Recommends: Dry insert for floor and stand corkers or 20 warm solution soak for Hand corkers - Against boiling.

4) https://www.finevinewines.com/HOW-TO...YOUR-CORKS.htm
Recommends: Sanitizing with one of two methods but not soaking or boiling.

5) http://winemakersacademy.com/boil-corks-wine/
Recommends: Dry insert or a quick star-san dip

6) http://www.letsdowine.com/bottlingwine.html
Recommends: Rinse in sanitizer and possibly a little glycerine if difficult with hand corker.

My decision is that with my hand corker I will drop my corks in a sanitizing solution for 10-30 mins before using them.

Here is some information from the Cork Quality Council. This is obviously aimed at wineries with vacuum corking machines, but many of the points are still valid.

Recommended Corking Practices

Corker Jaw Type •The 4-segment, sliding jaw type cork compression system is recommended. Roller or iris type jaws tend to cause wrinkles in the cork that can cause leaking.

Corker Maintenance to Ensure:
•Corking machines are maintained to the manufacturer's recommended standards at all times.
•Maintain lubrication schedule.
•Smooth action in compression stage.
•No nicks or other damage to the jaw segments.
•Good alignment and seal of bottleneck in centering bell.
•Properly centered plunger.
•Daily cleaning and sanitation of handling surfaces; i.e. hopper, feed tube, orienter, and jaws.
•A 24mm cork should not be compressed to less than 15.5mm.

Cork Handling and Storage:
•Do not open plastic cork bags until immediately before loading corks into the loading machine. No bags containing corks should be left open for any reason.
•Corks recovered from the corking machine after the bottling is completed should be returned to the plastic bag or another closable container, "dosed" with sulfur dioxide gas (vapor) and sealed tightly.
•Corks should be stored in sealed containers in a cool dry location, not in a bottling room, barrel storage area, or chemical storage area. The temperature should be 55 to 70 ° F and the humidity 50 to 70% and the atmosphere be free of haloanisole contamination.

Moisture Content:
•New shipments of cork as well as corks, which have been stored for extended periods of time, should be checked for moisture content before use. Corks below target 5% moisture levels should be discarded or returned to the supplier for re-hydration and sterile packaging. Corks with an average moisture content of over 8% should be regarded with suspicion as such a moisture level could support mold growth.
•Inner neck of the bottle must be dry.

Internal Bottle Pressure:
•Wine temperature should be between 60-70 ° F. If lower temperatures are used then the fill point should be adjusted down to compensate for expansion in the bottle when room temperature is reached. Be sure to maintain legal fill volume. Consult bottle specifications and maintain proper fill volume (do not overfill).
•If the fill point is too high, less vacuum can be achieved and internal pressure will increase.
•The vacuum system should be well controlled and maintained. Gauges that continuously display vacuum status at the corking head should be monitored. Frequent (each ½ hour) online QC of corked bottles (pierce test) are highly recommended.
•Bottles should remain upright for 5 to 10 minutes after corking
•It is recommended that the above elements be combined to produce a net effect of no more than 2 psi internal bottle pressure at 68 °F.
•Any suspicions or problems should be addressed immediately, and suspect inventory should be stored neck up.

"Recommended Corking Practices

Corker Jaw Type •The 4-segment, sliding jaw type cork compression system is recommended. Roller or iris type jaws tend to cause wrinkles in the cork that can cause leaking.

Corker Maintenance to Ensure:
•Corking machines are maintained to the manufacturer's recommended standards at all times.
•Maintain lubrication schedule. "

I notice they don't talk much about older manual corking machines:
- Mine is a little over 67 years.
- Gets lubricated maybe 2-3 times a week.

Seems to get the job done. :D

[Thanks for the pro-info - Nice to hear from the industry itself - now if we can just be sure about the middlemen who handles those corks.]

Great idea, thanks! When you say K-meta solution, you are mixing with water (?) and at what ratio? And 7% doesn't help me. I need say, 1 1/2 tsp per cup of water or what ever.

I have a 1 gallon jar with a plastic screw on lid. (definitely needs to be plastic as the k-meta will corrode metal) I make a gallon of the solution at a time and use it for everything sanitizing and refresh it about once a month. The solution is 2oz (four tablespoons) of k-meta to a gallon of water.

Just pour that in the bottom of the rubbermaid. Once done, pour it back in the 1 gallon jar for re-use.

"Just pour that in the bottom of the rubbermaid. Once done, pour it back in the 1 gallon jar for re-use."

As long as the solution hasn't touched anything 'Unclean' - otherwise I toss it nowdays - It's too cheap compared to the time, effort and cost of losing a batch. (Not mention the frustration of that experience)

Wow!! That's a lot of corkin' info.... Consider what's on the other side of the cork. If you do even a light K-meta treatment to your wine at bottling time, any issues a cork might bring would be taken care of.. JMHO

I have a 1 gallon jar with a plastic screw on lid. (definitely needs to be plastic as the k-meta will corrode metal) I make a gallon of the solution at a time and use it for everything sanitizing and refresh it about once a month. The solution is 2oz (four tablespoons) of k-meta to a gallon of water.

Just pour that in the bottom of the rubbermaid. Once done, pour it back in the 1 gallon jar for re-use.

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks!

I'm pasting the same summary of guidance from 6 different wine makiing forums/help sources.

Bottom line after you read this is - where did your corks come from? If you know they were sanitized, coated and properly sealed AND you use a floor corker, stand corker the consensus is no need to clean, sanitize, soak or even rinse them. BUT if you use a hand corker, your corks came in zip lock baggie, or the once sealed bag has been around for a while - sanitizing is probably not a bad idea. And there is the above 'dry sanitization method which may not help with hand corkers.

Keep in mind that the packages I see corks in say nothing about coatings, sanitization etc on them. While you may not have any problems - without some statement on the package you have no certainty of knowing about the corks condition. There are always people out there trying to make a little more money and willing to cut corners. (China sourced products etc)

Checked out 6 sources and a short summary...

1) http://www.eckraus.com/blog/preparin...-homemade-wine
Recommends: Rinsing or soaking does not suggest for or against boiling.

2) https://winemakermag.com/630-should-...or-to-bottling
Recommends: Insert dry - assumes all corks now are pre-sanitized and coated properly.

3) http://www.midwestsupplies.com/how-to-prepare-corks
Recommends: Dry insert for floor and stand corkers or 20 warm solution soak for Hand corkers - Against boiling.

4) https://www.finevinewines.com/HOW-TO...YOUR-CORKS.htm
Recommends: Sanitizing with one of two methods but not soaking or boiling.

5) http://winemakersacademy.com/boil-corks-wine/
Recommends: Dry insert or a quick star-san dip

6) http://www.letsdowine.com/bottlingwine.html
Recommends: Rinse in sanitizer and possibly a little glycerine if difficult with hand corker.

My decision is that with my hand corker I will drop my corks in a sanitizing solution for 10-30 mins before using them.

Lots of good info there Scooter, thanks. After reading I have concluded that soaking or boiling is probably not a good idea, however, care must be taken when handling your corks. Keep them in the sealed bag until right before bottling. Then reseal immediately. If unsure of the source or previous handling of corks, a quick spray or dousing in a Kmeta or StarSan solution before bottling is recommended. I will be a little more attentive to my corks from now on.

after sanitizing everything that comes into contact with the must and wine though out the process, including the bottles, I feel compelled to sanitize the corks too. I mean, I don't know who pulled that cork outta whose butt. They could be clean as a whistle...or not. a bowl full of Starsan, drop in five or six corks, use them up, drop in a few more. Not a long soak, but they get sanitized. I feel better and I have noticed no ill effects.

WHY would stop sanitizing at the last step? I don't get that part.

Latest posts

Back