To much headspace in carboy? Solution!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morten

Reaction score
To much headspace in carboy? Sanitized bread bag filled with water 😁

Attachments

• P_20220313_200230.jpg
    P_20220313_200230.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
Might need a few more pictures to see what you’ve done. My old eyes can’t see what’s going on. Looks like 4g of wine in a 5g carboy.

Hope it doesn’t leak or you’re going to have some watered down wine. I think you’ll have to siphon the water out of the bag first to remove it.

I think some of the commercial tanks might use a floating bladder. I can see it working better in a bucket or tank than a carboy.

When I first started, my go-to was an inexpensive Chardonnay. I figured it wouldn't influence the flavor too much, and it was kind of nice in my pear wine. Now I try to size my batches so that I will have several smaller containers for topping off my main carboy. That's something I learned from the old hands here.

When I first started, my go-to was an inexpensive Chardonnay. I figured it wouldn't influence the flavor too much, and it was kind of nice in my pear wine. Now I try to size my batches so that I will have several smaller containers for topping off my main carboy. That's something I learned from the old hands here.
I agree. As a newbie I didn't want to chance changing the flavor because I wanted to learn how everything tasted on it's own. I have 1-gallon and 1/2-gallon jugs that take airlocks that I'll use for topping. Some times it looks like a fermentation family.

I have 1-gallon and 1/2-gallon jugs that take airlocks that I'll use for topping.
Same here. If I’m shooting for a six gallon carboy I use a 10 gallon primary and make 7 gallons. If it’s a wine with lots of lees like apple I’ll make 8. Between tasting and racking I hope to get by with no added commercial wine.

I agree. As a newbie I didn't want to chance changing the flavor because I wanted to learn how everything tasted on it's own. I have 1-gallon and 1/2-gallon jugs that take airlocks that I'll use for topping. Some times it looks like a fermentation family.
Dave, you can also use 1500 ml and 750 ml bottles (and 375 ml for that matter!) for the same purpose. The universal stopper with an airlock works fine when installed upside down over the top of the bottles.

1647692432273.png

Last edited:
Dave, you can also use 1500 ml and 750 ml bottles (and 375 ml for that matter!) for the same purpose. The universal stopper with an airlock works fine when installed upside down over the top of the bottles.

View attachment 85877
...I learn something new every time I visit this site... I've been making wine for years and never flipped that sucker upside-down! I didn't even know they were called "universals". I purchased stoppers made for the bottles I use for top-off (also and swing-top bottles). Now I know if I'm in a pinch, I can use those. Thanks @Rocky!

OH NO I CAN'T!!!
I have the 1500, 750, AND 375's along with the universal stoppers.
Some times I'm anal retentive. Some times super anal retentive! Some times super mega anal retentive!
Those bottles wouldn't look "right" with my assortment of jugs! 😄

Back