TN Boy here , Hey Yaw

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzWinery

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself.. Just starting out.. Started my first batch of wine today.. My wife is currently in Afghanistan, and coming home in a month or two for two weeks of r&r.. I am hoping to suprise her with some wine ( going to name it after her ) .. We love wine, so i figure why not play around with it and fine tune to our tastes, not just the best one we can find in the stores. Measuring my wine tonight it's at 1.082 ( before adding yeast ) is that about where it should be for a sweet table wine ? Thanks and Hope I can fit in.. Only day one and i feel an addiction coming on. :)

The first thing you need to do is tell us what kind of wine you are asking for help with you havn't told us anything we can really help you with if this is a recipe tell us the recipe if this is a kit tell us the kit we need more information before we can help you. Welcome to the forum. Is this a fruit wine or a grape wine. for a fruit wine you want a sg rangeing from 1.085-1.090

Hi DaDzWinery,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I'm not sure if you are going to have a wine ready for her when she comes home. Two months is not much time and One month is definitely not enough time. What wine are you making? 1.080 is a good starting point but remember you ferment to dry then backsweeten to your taste.

It's a juice wine, making with welch's .. hey julie when I backsweeten, do i let it set before bottling or backsweeten then bottle right after.?

It's a juice wine, making with welch's .. hey julie when I backsweeten, do i let it set before bottling or backsweeten then bottle right after.?

Is that a Boxer in you avatar?

Backsweeten and let it clear then bottle, remember to sulphite and sorbate the wine first before adding any more sugar and you can use another can of welch's when you backsweeten.

Is that a Boxer in you avatar?

Backsweeten and let it clear then bottle, remember to sulphite and sorbate the wine first before adding any more sugar and you can use another can of welch's when you backsweeten.
Its a pitbull.. I have a couple... sweetest dogs ever, when in the right hands.. Btw I am using actual juice not the canned concentrate... But i have a quick question, i mixed it yesterday (5 gallons) wanted to do 6gal, cause that's the size carboy i got... ran out of sugar and campden tablets.. added the yeast ealier, now i have the camden and the sugar.. and ofcourse the rest of the ingredients... can i added another 1gal recipe to the 5 gal batch, even though i've already sprinkled my yeast ? cause i am sure i will have to mix the batch up again.. i have more yeast to sprinkle on top.. just need to know pretty quick so i can put it in if i can.. thanks

Yes you can, if you want this to be cleared by the time your wife gets home you will probably have to use a fining agent to clear it even though its just juice. You might want to add some welches concord concentrate instead of sugar to give it more flavor.

Crackedcork

Yes you can, if you want this to be cleared by the time your wife gets home you will probably have to use a fining agent to clear it even though its just juice. You might want to add some welches concord concentrate instead of sugar to give it more flavor.

Crackedcork
I do have some Isinglass, should i just put that in close to the time the wife is coming home, that way we can bottle while she's here? I know it all depends on the SG's, so when do i stop fermintation and able to bottle... in other words whats my target SG ?

Latest posts

Back