Tips by a newbie.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QCStang

Junior
Reaction score
I have gleaned a lot of information from message boards and what google turns up.
Over the short time of making my own wine, I found a few things to help me out, and

Cleaning:

1) Rinse everything - including buckets and carboys RIGHT AWAY.
2) A spray bottle with k-meta (labeled STERILIZER) and a spray bottle with Sanisol - the pink stuff (labled SANITIZER) using a Sharpie. Spray often!
3) Use rubberized gardening gloves, they keep your hands dry, and nothing slips out of your hands.
4) For small, messier jobs, get a pack of disposable plastic gloves at the dollar store, about a buck for 50.
5) Keep paper towels handy.
6) Also from the dollar store, I get cheap dropcloths, and cut it into sections that fit the top of my workspace. Each batch gets a new sheet.
7) If you THINK you cleaned something, clean it again.

Equipment:

1) When you want to get new equipment, always search on Youtube first to see how it works, and if you need it.
2) When you do get the equipment, do a dry run (IE: testing corking with an empty bottle). Or, in the case of bottling wands, auto siphon, do a run with water first.
3) You will never have enough carboys.
4) For carboys and pails, I get those little plastic stick on temperature strips.Better than digging a thermometer out of the primary (see item #4 above).
5) Keep cheesecloth handy at all times. If you add something to a kit that is larger than a grain of sand, use cheesecloth (ie: dried elderberries, oak chips, etc). I tie them up with mono fishing line. I figured this one out when I put crushed blueberries in a Shiraz kit.

Other:

1) Keep records. I keep a sheet for every batch. I put small half square in labels on the bottom of the bottle with the batch number. If, my 3rd and 5th batches are merlot, each bottle will have a small label with the batch number on it (3 or 5).
2) The internet is your friend.
3) When I make a new kit, I cut out the variety name that is on the box and tape it to each storage vessel until bottling time.
4) Try not to lift carboys!

QCStang...An interesting list. Here's a few comments on your points. The first one (on Sanitizers) is the most important one.

2) A spray bottle with k-meta (labeled STERILIZER) and a spray bottle with Sanisol - the pink stuff (labled SANITIZER) using a Sharpie. Spray often!
3) Use rubberized gardening gloves, they keep your hands dry, and nothing slips out of your hands.
4) For small, messier jobs, get a pack of disposable plastic gloves at the dollar store, about a buck for 50.
5) Keep paper towels handy.
2) K-meta is a sanitizer. Pink powder (Diversol) is a cleaner, and functions as a sanitizer if you soak for a period of time. I've heard as low as 10 minutes, I prefer 30 minutes. It's not something that I like to use around wine, especially as it is chlorinated, and may contribute to 'corked' wine. Neither is a Sterilizer.
3) and 4) Not something I like to use.
5) I bought a LOT of small white shop towels from Costco (haven't seen them lately - check Home Depot). I find them better than paper towels for many uses.

Equipment:

1) When you want to get new equipment, always search on Youtube first to see how it works, and if you need it.
3) You will never have enough carboys.
1) Or ask at a good forum, like this one.
3) Never is a very long time. Personally, I have enough carboys. But I have a lot more wine than you in bottles already.

Other:

1) Keep records. I keep a sheet for every batch. I put small half square in labels on the bottom of the bottle with the batch number. If, my 3rd and 5th batches are merlot, each bottle will have a small label with the batch number on it (3 or 5).
2) The internet is your friend.
3) When I make a new kit, I cut out the variety name that is on the box and tape it to each storage vessel until bottling time.
4) Try not to lift carboys!
1) Keeping good info is a great idea. Store these sheets in a binder.
2) and sometimes your enemy. Ask 10 winemakers the same question. You might get 12 answers. Ask a kit question, you might get an answer about grape wine that doesn't really apply (or vice versa).
3) I use carboy tags. One of the ways that I keep track of each batch.
4) Got a good pump?

Steve

Last edited:
cpfan beat me to the punch regarding sterilizers and sanitizers. I'd add that some folks don't even believe that KMBS or K-meta is a good surface sanitizer. I'd add that the following are fairly accurate descriptions of Sterilization, Sanitization and Cleaning:

Sterilization is an attempt to kill 100% of a population of spoilage microorganisms

Sanitation is an attempt to reduce the number of spoilage microorganisms on equipment surfaces

Cleaning is an attempt to physically and chemically remove food for microorganisms and to eliminate hospitable environments for their growth.

Personally I use star-san for surface sanitizing and KMBS for things that have enclosed open spaces (like bottle, carboys and barrels)

fear???

What is the fear of lifting a carboy, besides being a little heavy? I have been helping my dad make wine since 12 years old ( turning the crusher, washing the implements etc) and we always lifted the demi- johns( in my later years) from the floor to an elevated surface for racking purposes or for storing on elevated surface or moved the carboys from floor after racking....
Needless to say if you fear dropping the carboy buy handles they work well and are a big help OR build a box ( like an exoskeleton) for the carboy like those around the old spring water bottles.

The "fear" is not just about breaking the carboy. It's more about breaking your back. LOL :)

QCStang, I like the emphasis on CLEAN and SANITIZE in your post. If you keep these high standards for those two, they will serve you well.

One thing I find talking with vintners and reading online is that when it comes to any single step of the process, there are two billion ways to accomplish the same thing. Some are more expensive, some are easier, some flashier, etc. The key to me is to use the ones that improve your product consistency.

Usually, people do what they do because it has worked for them steadfastly in the past and/or it makes things easier on them. So it is good to see you are developing a set of practices that you then can test against over time to adjust or improve. That process is really what everyone does, once they get off to a start.

While our processes may vary, as long as what we all do adheres to the qualities of making good wine consistently, we will succeed.

1.) Cleanliness
2.) Sanitation
3.) Precision
4.) Record-keeping

I look at my wine journey as a huge ongoing experiment. That, and learning new ways of doing things, keeps it fun. I watch YouTube, go to forums, read on the winemaking industry, connect with local winemakers, and visit wineries to get new ideas. It's never boring. And with each new must, my notebook fills with more data and observations.

Personally I use star-san for surface sanitizing and KMBS for things that have enclosed open spaces (like bottle, carboys and barrels)

Can star-san be mixed up and kept in a jug for long periods of time to sanitize your utensils when needed, or does it break down after a short period of time?
Thanks,
z

I understand everyone's concern, but the back or shall I say the core is a muscle ( multiple muscles) if we do not use it (or them) , it (and/ or they)will weaken. Therefore I believe if we work our muscles progressively they will strenghten and stay strong otherwise we will weaken progressively IMHO.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO LIFT THE HEAVY STUFF BY BENDING YOUR KNEES.

Can star-san be mixed up and kept in a jug for long periods of time to sanitize your utensils when needed, or does it break down after a short period of time?
Thanks,
z

StarSan mixed into a sanitizing solution will last almost indefinitely. I mix up a gallon at a time for my home wine making and use it to fill a spray bottle. A gallon doesn't last me more than a few weeks.

5) Keep cheesecloth handy at all times. If you add something to a kit that is larger than a grain of sand, use cheesecloth (ie: dried elderberries, oak chips, etc). I tie them up with mono fishing line. I figured this one out when I put crushed blueberries in a Shiraz kit.

That's an interesting tip. I hate it when the oak chips clog up the racking tube. My question is, am I supposed to keep ALL the oak out of the secondary? Usually a lot of oak makes it way into the carboy and I leave it there until the next racking.

Thanks,
z

As mentioned, yes if you keep it in a closed bottle (spray bottle or closed jug) it should last quite a while. I don't find it lasts more than a few days in an open vessel (like a bucket or tub). I've also heard that it last longer if mixed up w/ RO or distilled water.

That's an interesting tip. I hate it when the oak chips clog up the racking tube. My question is, am I supposed to keep ALL the oak out of the secondary? Usually a lot of oak makes it way into the carboy and I leave it there until the next racking.

Nah, it's ok if some oak passes along to the secondary (I assume you mean the oak dust used in the primary with some kits). A lot of oaking products (cubes, staves, spirals) aren't added until the secondary anyway, because they more slowly impart the oak flavors and smokiness. The oak dust used in the primary won't add or detract anything after a couple weeks anyway; at worst, it is a nuisance to have to separate during rackings.

As far as keeping records, I use an Excel spreadsheet for the info on each batch and use an index card in a ziplock sandwich bag with the name of the batch, attached to the carboy with a paper clip and rubber band.

I don't lable each bottle with a large label. I use the very sticky folder labels with the name of each wine applied to the shrink wrap cap on the bottles so when I remove the cap to uncork, the label comes off too and no label cleanup is needed on the outside.

As far as keeping records, I use an Excel spreadsheet for the info on each batch and use an index card in a ziplock sandwich bag with the name of the batch, attached to the carboy with a paper clip and rubber band.

I don't lable each bottle with a large label. I use the very sticky folder labels with the name of each wine applied to the shrink wrap cap on the bottles so when I remove the cap to uncork, the label comes off too and no label cleanup is needed on the outside.

A grease pencil also works well on a carboy to keep track of dates and doses, and they come in various colors. Wipes off when done. I like the old skool paper approach for a log, myself. All my notes are safe from misbehaving electrons. I wish my grandpa had kept a log.

I like labeling. To me, it is the finishing touch on a batch. I go low-cost here. I make my labels in Word, print them out on regular paper, and attach them with milk (a trick I learned here). But I always leave some unlabeled sampling bottles.

What is the fear of lifting a carboy, besides being a little heavy? I have been helping my dad make wine since 12 years old ( turning the crusher, washing the implements etc) and we always lifted the demi- johns( in my later years) from the floor to an elevated surface for racking purposes or for storing on elevated surface or moved the carboys from floor after racking....
Needless to say if you fear dropping the carboy buy handles they work well and are a big help OR build a box ( like an exoskeleton) for the carboy like those around the old spring water bottles.

3 hernia surgeries, the last one was a few weeks ago.

Another useful tip.

I have a VERY large basement (30ft x 60ft). The furnace/water/laundry room is where I do my fermenting and bottling, its always 74*. The room in the very far corner stays pretty much at 55*. To travel that 80 feet or so, I swiped one of my wife's planter dollies made for very large plants. Rides really smooth, and as it is only an inch and a half from the floor, its quite easy to move the carboys that are 'aging' onto small squares of carpet or cardboard. Next time I find them, I'm going to get a few, they were on special and only about $6!

3 hernia surgeries, the last one was a few weeks ago.
-I hope you are doing better now. In your case, I don't suggest you lift carboys or anything heavy.

-The comment I made was for the average male and some females certainly have the strenght to lift a carboy.

-We must remember to bend the knees to lift. I have noticed (seen) that many people just bend over to lift something heavy. This is a no-no.

-The truth is that some posters suggest that carboys are fragile, (I don't believe they are) and this is what sparked my response.

Why would you want to lift a full 6 gal carboy. I'm more then able to lift and carry it if needed but why would you. Already today I have moved about 1 ton of 7 foot roofing sheet around 200' down a roof, no way am I going home to lift a carboy for fun. When you can make stuff less work you should.

Latest posts

Back