Mosti Mondiale Timing of New Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
I have a question about the timing of the new instructions from Mosti as I'm juggling around my upcoming trip. Following the estimated 3-5 days to get below 1.040 in the primary, steptwo states that after racking to the secondary, the wine should be monitored for 6-7 days (stirring each day to better integrate oak, if used). Then, the beginning of step three states after 10-12 days, rack off the sediment.

Previous Mosti instructions counted total days, which was easy to track, but these seem more like WE instructions of days per segment. So if I have a white that doesn't have oak am I waiting for 6-7 days + 10-12 days = 16-19 days after racking to the secondary before racking off of the sediment?

This seems in line with the previous instruction's timeframe for the completion of secondary fermentation (around day 20), although I want to make sure that the 6-7 days of step two are not part of the 10-12 days mentioned in step 3.

- Jim

The important aspect is that the fermentation is complete. Anywhere from 12-21 days is fine as long as the specific gravity is .995 or below.

George,

Thanks - I'll time it so the transfer to the secondary happens just before I leave for the trip as to minimize gross lee extended exposure.

Thanks again,

- Jim

George,

I racked the Caberlot yesterday from the primary. It said to add the "yeast nutrient" package of which didn't come with the kit. It is the MM Riserva Mondaile kit.
Do I really need the nutrient kit as the other MM kits I have made didn't come with one either.

uavwmn

PS. I am using the double airlock in the bung that has the little red top on it. There isn't any airholes in this red top. Should I leave the red top off?

No, you should not need it. MM is adding it as a precautionary item.

The airlock actually has indentations in the sides where the red top meets it and thats where the gas is expelled.

Latest posts

Back