Time to bottle, now what? Sanitizing bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coldclimate, what differences or benefits does NaMBS offer over KMBS? I have read of ppl using it but never knew why

Tingo,
I used to suffer from CRS. Now at my advanced age I have the senior form of CRS. I did the research a few years back and remember the high lights. Sodium Meta Bi Sulfite Nambs is a better sanitizer. Potassium meta bi sulfite kmbs is considered to be better for wine preservation. Both kill yeast, mold and other nasties, at the proper concentration. The effective level is based on free sulfur to the solutions Ph. In the winery we use a Na mbs/ water solution of around 300 ppm. It does not have a long shelf life. For wine we try to keep a 50 ppm for reds and 70 ppm for whites based on Ph during cellaring and bring that to a total of 70 ppm free sulfur at bottling.

(We rarely use sobate and never if Malic ferment is involved. I am a minimalist by philosophy and principle. I do not like to add anything to wine if I can avoid it. I really like to allow the fruit to express itself. Chemicals, flocculants, preservatives, whatever tends to mask the fruit, in my simple opinion.)

While both are salts, both provide sulfur the chemistry has some nuances that I would have to go back and dust off notes but essentially Na mbs provides slightly more free sulfur so it is better at sanitizing, while k mbs shed less salt so it is better in wine. Now any chemist will take me to task but that is my story and with advanced senior CRS and too lazy to check notes, I am sticking to it. ;-)

Yes, never use sorbate in an MLF wine.

For sanitizing Na metabisulfite is ok but for wine additions potassium is usually preferred. The issue is not the sanitizing ability but the addition of sodium content to the wine for other health issues.

Latest posts

Back