this years press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sholomy

Reaction score
people this years press is underway and ive changed it up a bit. no yeast or sulfites. i did some reading and i decided to try it this way this year. im dealing with 250 lbs foche, 250 lbs dechaunac 100 lbs muscat ottanal and 200 lbs frontenac gris. so far i crushed and pressed the foche the dechaunac and the muscat no skin time; im aiming for a rose. i havent crushed the gris (its only a day from the pick so far) because i ran out of glass. the juice is in in my bedroom carboys are about 90 percent full and the temp is about 75. that sound right to u? any suggestions or comments?

Looks to me like it should work. I have not done a wild ferment, tho. Just read about others that have. With that amount of grapes, juice, work, think if it was me I would do at least most of them with yeast and sulfite. You could experiment with one or two of them, tho. I am pretty sure my ferments will come out fine if I follow my way with the wine yeasts and chemicals. The other way, maybe come out great, maybe not so good. Good luck with it, Arne.

btw the gris so far is the most aggressive and 90 percent is too much it started bubbling over. the others are just simmering but this one mushroomed; of course temp played a role too must have been about 82f

btw the gris so far is the most aggressive and 90 percent is too much it started bubbling over. the others are just simmering but this one mushroomed; of course temp played a role too must have been about 82f

It takes one time to realize how far a ferment can climb up the side of a bucket. Most of the time they are fairly tame, but once in a while they can get excited. Hope you didn't have it over too nice of a floor, when it happens on mine, I can just flush it with some water. (concrete.) First time it was in a living space, still was easy to clean up but was really glad I didn't have a nice floor covering there. Arne.

It will work great!! Or it should at least! I make my wine using no yeast or sulfites either. I've only been doing it that way for 3 years, but learned from a guy who has been doing it for 40. He only had a problem once because he admittedly started from grapes that were bad.

My wine has always been good. I drink it quickly though. Usually within a year and a half. I have one bottle I've had for 2 years, that I'm going to try. I'm just trying to get a sense of how long I can store a non-sulfited wine before it goes. The guy I learned from said about 3 years max.

Good luck with the wine!

good to hear from someone whos doing it too but 3 years doesnt sound like very much at all. the ancients stored wine much longer than 3 years and i dont think they used sulfites...

Latest posts

Back