Think my D-47 is dead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Ive trid just pitching it rehydrating it and no activity at all. Says best at 59 to 68 degree's so fermentors is at 66 degrees. No drop in readings.. Dammn have 7 packs of it in fridge, Had issue with in in my last batch of skittles wine as well...

I'd use up several packages on the current wine, just to get 'er going. Usually you have some viable yeast left (unless it's super old, or it was over heated).

Ok so I am not the only one having an issue with it... Hmm will get to supply house and get some ec-1118... Thanks..

I used D-47 on my California Chardonnay Juice and it took 4-5 days to before I saw the SG begin to drop. It is a little scary, but that Chardonnay became the best white wine that I have made thusfar. Be patient, it is worth it.

well started this a few days ago but have nothing to loss as its only a 1 gallon test batch of Jolly Ranchers.. :) Picking up a few packets of ec-1118 tomorrow for a few other things Im playing with like Starburst Reds....

I just used D-47 with some frozen Chard. Juice.
Even after the addition of Fermax, there was no sign of activity until I got the temperature up around 67-68 degrees.

I like the longer slower ferment of the D-47 but the starting is always the pain with this yeast..

I've never had problems with it, are you folks using GoFerm when you hydrate? Are you hydrating at 105° - 110°?
You should really get the water to 120, hydrate the Goferm, wait until it is about 110°, sprinkle the yeast in the water, wait for it to hydrate, then after 10-15 mins when you see active reproducing, take the same volume of must as the volume of water that you used to hydrate the yeast and add it in, half at a time, the sugars from the must will be nutrients for the yeast, plus it will acclimate the yeast to the must temp.
I always get the must to at least 75° - 80° to start and let it do it's thang.

Lalvin d47

:u TAKE A LOOK AT THE MAKE UP OF THIS YEAST,IT'S A LOW FOAMING QUICK FERMENTER THAT SETTLES WELL,FORMING A COMPACT LEES AT THE END OF FERMENTATION. THIS STRAIN TOLERATES FERMENTATION TEMPERATURES RANGING FROM 59-68 DEGREES AND ENHANCES MOUTH FEEL DUE TO THE COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES . Malolactic fermentation proceeds well in wine made with ICD-d-47.:w

:u ALWAYS CHECK ON EXPIRATION DATES ON THE PACKAGE,IF YOU KEEP IN REFRIGERATED, LET WARM UP OVER NIGHT AND IF YOU NOT SURE AT THAT POINT MAKE A STARTER BATCH WITH THE WINE YOUR USING,AND SPEAKING ABOUT THE WINE YOUR PUTTING IT IN TO ALWAYS TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE WINE TEMP. ITSELF,I KNOW THESE ARE THINGS WE ALL TAKE INTO ACCOUNT BUT SOMETIMES WE OVERLOOK THE SIMPLE THINGS................:w

I like D47 for my Chardonnays. Maybe just my experience, but I have had problems getting it to start using a true yeast starter.

I have found one can just mix the nutrients into the must, if not a kit wine, then simply pitch the D47 on top. I don't know why but pitching it on top just seems to work better (for me). This way, it starts firing up in the must within 8 hours.

I have to admit that if I had been more patient, the true yeast starter method might eventually have started OK. I just hated for my white wine must to set there for several days unprotected.

Last edited:
Same for me. I find pitching on top to work best. I had to add more, when yeast starter did not work. There is still not much bubble activity in airlocks, but it is fermenting. SG down to 1.048 today. It went from 1.098 when I started the must on 01/13/13. So it's slow but works.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back