Fermentation crawling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I checked the SG this morning. So the one gallon batches are all either finished fermenting or close to it now with the heat up. But the two five gallon batches are still struggling. The Welch's version is now down to 1.044 from 1.052...to my thinking maybe I should add another starter? It has had a heating pad on it. I thought about maybe hitting it with sorbate and leaving it super sweet but I think it would still be way to sweet. Or I don't know if the sorbate and k-meta would even be a good idea sinces there is still so much sugar present.... seriously considering dumping it since it's only Welch's anyway. Any thoughts on my ramblings, haha?

So I checked the SG this morning. So the one gallon batches are all either finished fermenting or close to it now with the heat up. But the two five gallon batches are still struggling. The Welch's version is now down to 1.044 from 1.052...to my thinking maybe I should add another starter? It has had a heating pad on it. I thought about maybe hitting it with sorbate and leaving it super sweet but I think it would still be way to sweet. Or I don't know if the sorbate and k-meta would even be a good idea sinces there is still so much sugar present.... seriously considering dumping it since it's only Welch's anyway. Any thoughts on my ramblings, haha?

I would give it some more time. Throwing more yeast in the pot can't hurt.

Your gravity is still in a range where a small addition of nutrients would probably help. Once the gravity drops below 1.04 it will be too late to add nutrients.

I would give it some more time. Throwing more yeast in the pot can't hurt.
Your gravity is still in a range where a small addition of nutrients would probably help. Once the gravity drops below 1.04 it will be too late to add nutrients.

I like the idea of another yeast starter and give some nutrients a try. Might as well, wanted to stop at the brew shop anyway and it gives me a reason, haha. Kinda funny gonna use nutrients for the first time in a Welch's version, that everyone says is pretty much a no brainier ferment. But I geuss makes since to play around with this and figure things out, so if it ever happens to a fruit wine or mead I have a decent amount of money in I'll have a better idea.

So funny story, I went to the brew shop. He recommended some yeast Energizer, so I picked some up. Pack said 1/2 tsp per gallon. So I added two full tsp to the first carboy, turned my back to add another two to the other. I grabbed the half tsp and turned around to, a HUGE pink volcano. I was not expecting that, after it finally settled down and I cleaned up. I turned around again to the other dreading seeing it go to....but it didn't. Out of the three carboys( two 5's and one 1 gallon) it was the only one to erupt. Strange but shocking, haha.

Have not been able to get back on here, today, I tested my wine. I don't want to throw out 6 gallons, help. After it cooled down, because of the electricity being out. I keep it in a closet and kept a heater on so it stayed at about 73 degrees. I have checked on it regularly and, I've twisted the bottle a few times so that the must would fall. Today, I decided I would deal with it. what can I do, the alcohol content is at 0 %. 0.990. is there a way I can salvage it? any ideas, help.

Have not been able to get back on here, today, I tested my wine. I don't want to throw out 6 gallons, help. After it cooled down, because of the electricity being out. I keep it in a closet and kept a heater on so it stayed at about 73 degrees. I have checked on it regularly and, I've twisted the bottle a few times so that the must would fall. Today, I decided I would deal with it. what can I do, the alcohol content is at 0 %. 0.990. is there a way I can salvage it? any ideas, help.

There is no reason to think anything is wrong. The alcohol content is NOT 0%. Let me drop back and give you the big picture.

Water has a SG of 1.000. When you add sugar, it goes up, say, to 1.050 (your report) or 1.090 (typical case). When the yeast eat the sugar, and excrete alcohol, the SG goes down. When the wine is fully fermented, we expect a SG of about 0.990 to 0.995.

You hydrometer has both a SG scale, and a scale marked potential alcohol. The "potential" means that, if you started with that SG, and then fermented all the sugars, then your final wine would have about as much alcohol as what your starting potential alcohol reading was. For example, if you started with SG = 1.090, the p.a. (potential alcohol) scale on your hydrometer would say something like 12% p.a. Obviously, it does NOT have 12% ABV (alcohol by volume) at that point, it is just sugar and water. But once the yeast ferment that down to something like SG=0.995, then there will be something like 12% ABV.

Obviously, the hydrometer does not know what SG you started with. So, once fermentation starts, the p.a. scale is not useful.

Back to your batch: there is nothing you have said that makes us think there is any problem. What kind of vessel is it in? You should probably rack (transfer) it to a glass carboy and eliminate empty space to avoid oxidation by air contact.

There is no reason to think anything is wrong. The alcohol content is NOT 0%. Let me drop back and give you the big picture.

Water has a SG of 1.000. When you add sugar, it goes up, say, to 1.050 (your report) or 1.090 (typical case). When the yeast eat the sugar, and excrete alcohol, the SG goes down. When the wine is fully fermented, we expect a SG of about 0.990 to 0.995.

You hydrometer has both a SG scale, and a scale marked potential alcohol. The "potential" means that, if you started with that SG, and then fermented all the sugars, then your final wine would have about as much alcohol as what your starting potential alcohol reading was. For example, if you started with SG = 1.090, the p.a. (potential alcohol) scale on your hydrometer would say something like 12% p.a. Obviously, it does NOT have 12% ABV (alcohol by volume) at that point, it is just sugar and water. But once the yeast ferment that down to something like SG=0.995, then there will be something like 12% ABV.

Obviously, the hydrometer does not know what SG you started with. So, once fermentation starts, the p.a. scale is not useful.

Back to your batch: there is nothing you have said that makes us think there is any problem. What kind of vessel is it in? You should probably rack (transfer) it to a glass carboy and eliminate empty space to avoid oxidation by air contact.
I have it in a glass carboy - 6.5 gallon. It has struggled with clearing, I have used a cheese cloth and a filter, and know not to disturb the must. Thank you for helping me.

Last edited:
Just as a update and wrap up to this in case anyone searches for and finds this in the future. So far all the fermentations that I originally had problems with all finished up at 1.000 give or take. I expect that the yeast Energizer was the real hero, that and warmer temps. I didn't end up adding a make shift heating pad to only one 6 gallon carboy. It seemed to have so-so effects. But, since I added Energizer to all the brews and only the heating pad to the one and they all finished. Anyway, everything is moving along fine and in conditioning and back sweeting stages, my main geuss to the reasoning to the stall was a combination of to high a starting gravity, and the cold temp. Oh, and my lack of oxygenation by stiring at the beginning and nutrients/Energizers. Which I have been beginning to play a little more with. Thank you for everyone's advice and input.

Just as a update and wrap up to this in case anyone searches for and finds this in the future. So far all the fermentations that I originally had problems with all finished up at 1.000 give or take. I expect that the yeast Energizer was the real hero, that and warmer temps. I didn't end up adding a make shift heating pad to only one 6 gallon carboy. It seemed to have so-so effects. But, since I added Energizer to all the brews and only the heating pad to the one and they all finished. Anyway, everything is moving along fine and in conditioning and back sweeting stages, my main geuss to the reasoning to the stall was a combination of to high a starting gravity, and the cold temp. Oh, and my lack of oxygenation by stiring at the beginning and nutrients/Energizers. Which I have been beginning to play a little more with. Thank you for everyone's advice and input.
Do you really mean the fermentation finished at 1.000? If so, that's not what a fermentation typically finishes at. For a fully fermented must, your SG should be somewhere in the .990 - .992 range.

Ya, 1.000. I realize that it's not the ideal .990-.992....but it's close enough to go ahead and do a little back sweeting. And watch were my numbers go and stay... I am normally not hard and fast on making sure it goes to .990 or .992 more then likely some of the country fruit wines never will atleast only a few I have ever made did. I just go to where I can take three gravity readings over three weeks, one a week and if it doesn't move at all it's most likely done. Thank you though, I appreciate your input.

Back