Think I made a mistake.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
I started a Zinfandel yesterday morning. The juice was 64* when I started it and we were going into a cold day so I put the brew belt around it just to keep it warm. So at this time I also pitched the yeast. The SG when I started was 1.080. Well last night before I went to bed I checked on the juice and it was like 77-79*. So I shut the brew belt off and went to bed. I wake up this morning and nothing is really happening with the juice, the temp is now 68* and after 24 hours with yeast in the juice the SG is still 1.080.

Did I kill the yeast? Should I get new yeast and pitch it in? Maybe just stir it?

Please help.

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

Yeast isn't actually killed until you reach a temperature of approximately 140 deg. Of course most yeasts are inhibited from growing at temperatures above 85-90 deg(some lower) so try to keepmusts or juicesabout 75, plus or minus for optimal cell multiplication. Now those yeasts also have to eat and part of that process is the conversion of sugars to alcohol- so you need good healthy populations to actively do so.

Dont worry scuba, some get started in a few hours and some take 2 days. Ive had 2 wines that actually took 3 days and I was starting to panic. I would put the brew belt on and keep it very low on the primary but Im betting that if you open her up youll probably hear a slight sizzling later tonight if you dont hear it already.

I checked on it about 1/2hr ago and there was some sizzling going on so I feel better.

Scuba

I made the Zin/Shiraz awhile back, had Premier Cuvee yeast, lowest foaming, sizzling sounding ferment I have ever watched. I remember wondering if it was going or not..it was.

JWMINNESOTA said:
I made the Zin/Shiraz awhile back, had Premier Cuvee yeast, lowest foaming, sizzling sounding ferment I have ever watched. I remember wondering if it was going or not..it was.

Lol I know what you are going through.

Scuba

Red Star Cotes Des Blanc yeast is infamous for this very slow starting, slow fermentation.

I have a question on secondary fermentation. I started a MM all juice kit Dec.20 S.G. was 1.090. ON Dec.26 S.G. was 1.000 so racked wine to clean carboy installed air lock. On Jan.14 S.G. is 0.992 instructions say if hydrometer reads 0.995 or less move to next step. I still see small bubbles moving up the side of the carboy, will it hurt to wait till all small bubbles stop floating to the top of the carboy? the air lock is still in place. thank you

Ron.SPQR said:
I have a question on secondary fermentation. I started a MM all juice kit Dec.20 S.G. was 1.090. ON Dec.26 S.G. was 1.000 so racked wine to clean carboy installed air lock. On Jan.14 S.G. is 0.992 instructions say if hydrometer reads 0.995 or less move to next step. I still see small bubbles moving up the side of the carboy, will it hurt to wait till all small bubbles stop floating to the top of the carboy? the air lock is still in place. thank you

The bubbles could be and most likely are CO2 gas bubbles. At that SG fermentation should be done. Of course until you stabilize there could be a little yeast activity if the carboy gets moved. If you can verify a constant SG of the same level for lets say 3 days, fermentation is done and it is time to degas and stabilize.

Thanks smurfe I will verify the SG over the next 3 days before moving onto the next step. thank you.

I have a question too about the secondary fermentation and hydrometer readings.

We just started last Saturday our very first batch of wine, made from backyard-grapes juice, with the yeast started added on Sunday. The initial hydrometer reading was 1.095. Today, when I went to check and stir the primary, there wasn't much foamy action, so I took a hydrometer reading and it read 0.996 !! Surely it can't be "done" in 4 days....on the other hand, I checked it twice and sure enough the reading was 0.996.

So, we transfered it to the secondary and applied airlock, but haven't topped up. It looks like a bit of volume foamed off too, so I was wondering should I top up with a sugar-water solution? Any suggestions, tips, advice welcome. Thanks much

Susan

Do not top up with sugar water solution as this will start fermenting allover again and raise the abv. Im guessing this is a small batch and not a 6 gallon batch to ferment this fast or your temps were very high. Either way I would top up now with a similar wine or add sterilized marbles to displace the missing wine, or you could transfer to smaller containers after adding sorbate and stabilizer and clarifier if you plan to use a fining agent.

Yes, it was a small batch - 1 gallon - and I used the full packet of yeast, not to mention as a starter that got off to a rolling start before pitching it into the primary. I was just under the impression it would take *longer* to fully ferment.
smiley1.gif

Meanwhile, have discussed your reply with the other half of the winemaking team here, who said to your saying no to adding more sugar as that will raise the abv "what's wrong with that? we could be drinking grape juice after all"
smiley29.gif

Anyway, I don't have smaller containers with airlocks - and the wine still needs to clear (definitely not yet clear) and on tasting it was soooo acidy tasting, is topping up with water a no-no?

If you want to dilute your wine and make it weak them by all means do it buts thats what youll be doing. I wouldnt and you dont want to add sugar as you will probably throw off the balance of flavor vs. alc by making it hotter. How far are you away from the airlock? In other words, how much do you think it will need to top them up?

Pelican, do you know what variety of grapes you had? If they are Concord or some American variety or even wild grapes, then the acid levels may be very high. One way to combat that is to ameliorate with water. It will indeed make the wine thinner, but in some cases it is the desired method for making it more drinkable. Ideally you would have equipment to test for this, but that is impracticle for this small quantity. You can let it finish fermenting and stabilize with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. Once that is done you can resweeten the wine with a sugar water to help balance the acids.

First step- what variety grape is it?

Latest posts

Back