Thermoencapsular

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you just need to be holding the capsule tight to the top of the bottle. George does sell a tool specifically for this.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">6598 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2399_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Fast Seal Tool

For use with heat shrinkable PVC capsules</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$4.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$4.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>

I use the boiling water method but the last time I realize I need a deeper pot. And I use a shrimp deviener to hold theshrink in place until it hits the water then I pull it out. It all happens in a fraction of a second.

Getting back to the bigger pot......I dunk fast and find that I've hit the bottom of the pot and it nicks a little color off the shrink where it bounces off the bottem. Will try a larger pot of keep it off the bottom next time.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I've used heat guns, boiling water, and I've even tried one of the units Wade has at my LHBS. Both boiling water and Wade's unit have very consitent and *quick* results. The heat gun works okay, but the boiling water seems to apply heat in all directions at the same time, resulting in a better, more even shrink. Wades unit does the same without the risk of burning yourself on steam or boiling water.

The heat gun does an okay job, but requires more time, and the results, while good, are just not spectacular.

I have been using a heat gun that I got from Harbor Freight, but have been frustrated with inconsistent to poor results.

I was going to order one of those fast seal tools that Wade recommended, but I like the tip I got from George better: Use a tea kettle and open up the spout lid to allow steam out, holding the shrink wrap in place with a long object (like a bread knife) and tip bottle upside down, hold up to steam and voila...a very consistent and faster approach to applying shrink wraps.

laneygirl, I have been using the tea-kettle method for years and everytime I bring it up, somebody has a better idea. Once you get the kettle singing, it takes about a split second to get it shrunk and the kettle is an item most households have already. I use a spoon instead of knife, but the thing is to keep the cap tight against the top of the bottle when you put it under the steam. Give it a quick spin under the steam and you are done- if you don't you can get wrinkles.

Hummmm...I've been dipping in boiling water with a spoon....fianlly...another use for the tea kettle...Got to try that.

Latest posts

Back