the strange things we will try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
I've seen that winemakers and homebrewers are willing to try very strange things. I saw a mini fermenter on HBT and decided to see it I could make a smaller one, so here is a 3 liter mini-mason jar fermenter.
Has anybody else tried something like this.

6tag_170416-170849.jpg

Never tried that myself, but it looks like it should work. The only issue I see is that you have a lot of headspace to deal with once fermentation is complete.

Never tried that myself, but it looks like it should work. The only issue I see is that you have a lot of headspace to deal with once fermentation is complete.
True, but as soon as primary fermentaion is done, it will be racked into another bottle without headspace. Honestly I was worried fermentation would be wild with the fruit, but it started fairly slowly...

I did one gallon batches when I first started making beer and wine. My thinking was to learn the process and just to see if I would even like messing around with this stuff. I very quickly learned that you don't yield a gallon of product. If you make something really good, you only get a few bottles. There is almost as much time and effort involved making a gallon batch as there is a five gallon batch.

So, now I have half a dozen gallon bottles taking up space! But, they do come in handy for various things....racking down, flavor addition experiments. Mason jars are handy for so many different things, handy to have around! I did learn and have fun. If small is fun for you, go for it!

I started with 6 gallon batches, and while it's alot of fun, I ended up with more wine and beer than I or my friends drink (very few of my friends drink, if they weren't good friends I would get new one's). And I love experimenting I'd rather have 10 1 gal batches than 2 5gal batches. I think part of the reason is I'm a bit ADD, and because I'm a serial hobbiest...

I fermented a small batch of estate grapes last year. I had three very small clusters. I ended up with 10 mL of wine after pressing. I have it aging in sealed glass vial as I haven't found a barrel the right size yet. ;)

That's a great idea! I've thought about doing the same thing using empty one gallon pickle jars (washed well, of course).

I was thinking of just drilling a hole in the lid and securing the air lock with food safe silicon caulking. I like that you found a gasket to use, where did you get it?

I agree with you that lots of small batches are fun. Neither my husband and I are big drinkers, and our friends aren't either.

That's a great idea! I've thought about doing the same thing using empty one gallon pickle jars (washed well, of course).

I was thinking of just drilling a hole in the lid and securing the air lock with food safe silicon caulking. I like that you found a gasket to use, where did you get it?

I agree with you that lots of small batches are fun. Neither my husband and I are big drinkers, and our friends aren't either.
I got the gasket from a Home Brewing store, can't remember which one though. It works very well surprisingly.

Back