The Spirit Review Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I have been expanding my bar to include new spirits to use for mixing since I really enjoy making pre-prohibition era cocktails. Thus, my usual bar which consist of bourbons,rum, vodkas, gins and various scotches got augmented by St.Germain, campari, grand marnier and my new favorite friend.. Green Chartreuse!

At first I was a bit tenative about really enjoying a liqour, most of the cocktails I found called for fractions of a tsp per drink. However, I decided to figure out how it would taste on the rocks.. and by the divine.. It was wonderful.

I tend to dislike sweet drinks, I find them hard to drink and I find it cloying. However, this wonderful drink is balanced just as well as any wine could hope to be. When diluted with ice water it takes on a wonderful emerald green colour. The flavour is very herbicous and vegital yet, it has a wonderful spiciness to it. In all honesty it is rather hard to describe. Coming in at around 110 proof it is certainly something you want to serve small and you will want to make sure you have plenty of time to enjoy it since each sip leaves a nice long lingering taste. In fact, have a picture and observe its natural mighty green colour.

So you might begin to understand that I am slightly obsessed. Well last night, inspired by a larger than normal research check, it reached a new level. I walked to the downtown liqour store and I found some of their special edition green chartreuse. Ie VEP chartreuse. This wonderful tincture was priced at 180 dollars however, after some deft negotiation I walked out of the store with it for 145 bucks. I will say, this is by far the most expensive bottle of liqour I have ever purchased and likely the most expensive I am likely to purchase in a long time. So now to quit wasting my words and your time reading this rambling monologue I present the presentation.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. When compared side by side it tasted similar to its less expensive sister, but it was much more mellow and more refined with a spicy structure. It tasted less sweet and the aroma when diluted down a bit was heavenly. I intend on only partaking of this guy on special occasions. I will use the "normal" green chartreuse for cocktail mixing and the occasional on the rocks experience. Now, back into its case so I will never have to worry about finishing the bottle.

For those interested in the very cool history of this drink check out this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur)

So does anyone else have any spirit reviews or obsessions?

Ah! My Dad is a big fan of Chartruese! I always thought it tastes kind of like spicy pine needles; now mostly I use it for a sipper when I've got a cold :)

I'm just starting to get into mixing drinks, as with my allergies I need to find ones that are gluten free. However, I am in love with the Kraken Dark Spiced Rum. Dang that stuff is good! I'm going to use some of it to add to my soaking vanilla beans.

Ah! My Dad is a big fan of Chartruese! I always thought it tastes kind of like spicy pine needles; now mostly I use it for a sipper when I've got a cold :)

I'm just starting to get into mixing drinks, as with my allergies I need to find ones that are gluten free. However, I am in love with the Kraken Dark Spiced Rum. Dang that stuff is good! I'm going to use some of it to add to my soaking vanilla beans.

Yeah, It is quite the interesting drink I think that is why I have fallen for it. I ordered some unsweetened coca powder that I plan on making hot chocolate with it. One of the traditional chartreuse drinks calls for a mug of hot chocolate with just around 1/8 oz of chartreuse added to it. Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the amazon man.

I'm a Brandy fan myself; one of these days I'll get around to buying a bottle of a Hennessy X.O.

I use E&J VSOP for my 'Ports', and for my mixed drinks (hot buttered brandy; eggnog)

Sounds like a nice bottle you got there, Seth; never had Chartruese myself

Deezil, if you like to drink brandy as i, then by pass the Hennessy X.O. and go straight to a Chateau de Laubade, I think there enexpensive is about 60 and up to 350...I prefer the 1980/1981 Armagnac its about 200.00, but dang its good...Not for making port, but just sipping.
I also use E&J for my ports.

My mom would drink the Yellow Chartruese. It is not for me.
Seth if you get a chance, try some Glayva

Seth,
My hat is off to you my friend, it is nice to see that level of commitment that you have for making pre-prohibition era cocktails, that whole era really fascinates me.

Please correct me. I am an Aussie and you are talking US history.
I thought that cocktails were developed during prohibition. The moonshine was so bad that juices and other things were mixed with the alcohol to hide the taste.

Pre prohibition was like a free for all here in the US from what I've seen and read, I'm sure that things became a bit more crafty during prohibition for the reasons that you stated.

I'm a Brandy fan myself; one of these days I'll get around to buying a bottle of a Hennessy X.O.

I use E&J VSOP for my 'Ports', and for my mixed drinks (hot buttered brandy; eggnog)

Sounds like a nice bottle you got there, Seth; never had Chartruese myself

I enjoy brandy myself, but I have yet to really get into it deep enough to really call myself anything more than an enjoyer of it. I can backup what James is saying about Armagnac, from what I have tasted I would pick it up over cognac nearly any day.

Deezil, if you like to drink brandy as i, then by pass the Hennessy X.O. and go straight to a Chateau de Laubade, I think there enexpensive is about 60 and up to 350...I prefer the 1980/1981 Armagnac its about 200.00, but dang its good...Not for making port, but just sipping.
I also use E&J for my ports.

My mom would drink the Yellow Chartruese. It is not for me.
Seth if you get a chance, try some Glayva

I have not tried Chateau de Laubade. Is it relatively easy to get ahold of? I have only tried two Armagnacs before, one of them being Chabol XO which I greatly enjoyed and was rather sad to see the last of it go. However, from what I have seen thus far my palate tends to prefer Armagnac over Cognac. Perhaps it is because in my amateur opinion that Armagnac makers might feel they have more freedom to express a more rounded spirit where Cognac makers might feel compelled to try and express the grape more? Just a guess.

If you are wanting to try something that is not brandy/whiskey I would highly recommend you try out the green Chatruse, you can get the less awesume version for around $50 and even you do not enjoy it with a little bit of ice to tone it down I can confirm that it makes a very fun cocktail ingredient.

Seth,
My hat is off to you my friend, it is nice to see that level of commitment that you have for making pre-prohibition era cocktails, that whole era really fascinates me.

Thanks, I really enjoy making them. To me, a good cocktail is similar to a glass of wine. Ie, well balanced and classy.

If you really enjoy learning about cocktails from that era I would recommend you check this show out.

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/cocktail_spirit/

This show is hosted by Robert Hess and he really goes into not only how to make the drink, but where it came from as well as drink making methodology and technique which helps you actually know what you are doing instead of blindly following a recipe. I really enjoy his show!

I'm surprised to see that Scotland's isn't Whisky. Although they are lumped in with England and Northern Ireland in that graphic.

I actually lived about 20 clicks from where Chartreuse is made for about a year (near Grenoble), and I stupidly did not once have any of the stuff while I was there! :slp

I am a bit jealous to say so myself, I think it would have been a fun place to get to visit.

seth, since were talking spirits, i saw this today...most popular ones across the globe.

I saw that too. Honestly, I think the graph is a little bit too vague. Ie, whiskies have such a variance across the board I feel it is a bit unfair to call them all whiskies. All in all though, it was kind of interesting to look at though.

It might be possible. I am not sure if they have strong relations with these specific groups, but I would not be surprised if they have or do collaborate from time to time.

Seth have you tried Absinthe? It's legal again now in the USA.

Seth have you tried Absinthe? It's legal again now in the USA.

If he starts writing like Egder Allen Poe then we know he has tried it!!
Have wondered about it but no sample yet.

Latest posts

Back