WineXpert The dreaded de-gassing!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
ok, so tonight as planned I racked my chianti off the lees into another carboy. It still didn't taste all that hot, but I keep saying it's a baby "red" wine, it need to age at least 3-6 mo. before it is going to start tasting ok. But it was also really fizzy on my tongue. So I did the shaky test someone suggested. Put in a small bottle, shook and it sounded just like a Dr. Pepper. So, I got to pull out the power tools and whipped it for 2 minutes, topped up and sealed. When should I check again to make sure it's de-gassed. It will go away, right??

Also started a blk rasberry merlot for summer, no issues - yet!

One more question. I now have an empty carboy that I cleaned all the goop out. I dried well on the outside, but the inside well you know. I saw where someone puts about 2 inches of k-meta and h20 and closes off. Is that necessary, or should I just keep shaking upside down until all the h20 is out? I covered w/ a paper towel and rubberband to keep stuff out (dust, etc).

At this racking it should have not had any gas at all but since you do I would check it again today. Do the small sample in the bottle test and see if you get any gas released when you open it after shaking....foam or visible bubbles does not mean it has gas.

If the sample shows signs of dissolved CO2you need to stir it again...what type of drill powered mixer do you have? You will need to remove some volume from the carboy in order to stir it properly.

I don't put anything in my empty carboys nor do I cover them. I rinse with hot water (faucet mounted sprayer) and sanitize before using.

DJ,

I have kept all the boxes my carboys came in and when I get finished cleaning the carboy with Easy Clean, I rinse well with hot water and drain as much as I can then place a bunch of papertowel folded up in the center of the carboy box and place the carboy upside down in the box. In an hour or so, I'll replace the papertowel with dry and leave it. Then as Masta stated, I sanitize before next use.

Ok, as suggested, I retested this AM. Put some in a sml bottle, shaky, shaky, and there was the fizzy noise. I just couldn't believe it. So, I go to the fridge, pull out a bottle of unopened chardonnay, opened it, put some in the bottle, shaky, shaky - and there is the fizzy noise. Last night, I got rid of the cordless drill and grabed the big powerful plug in drill and mixed for 2 minutes. Should I do again?

And, if the new wine makes the fizzy noise, is this an accurate way to test?

Thanks ya'll!

If the "fizzy noise" was the same as with a storebought bottle then I would say you are ok. If the sample had dissolved gas in it the amount of "fizzy noise" would have been much greater.

I have a few questions:

What type of stirrer do you have?

I must assume being in Texas the temp of the wine is at least 70 degrees?

Did you degas when you stabilized and fined the batch?

Fizzy noise sounded the same.

My stirrer is the standard mix-stir that George puts in the kits. Temp is running prob. 66-70?? I don't have a them. in carboy. Yes, I did degas when I stabilized and fined. Then I degassed again last night with the big boy drill! Should I do again, just to be safe? Will it hurt anything??

If you have a mix-stir and not a wine-whip you should never have a problem degassing your wine and with the stirring you have done at this point I would guessit is good. Temperature is important since the cooler a liquid the more gas it can hold in solution. You should try to have your wine at least 68 degrees before degassingas it will greatly reduce the amount of gas to force out of solution.

Not sureif you have seen this but itis good info from Tim:

Just a quick redux of the stirring issue for my (Winexpert) kits:

<UL>
<LI>If you've fermented at the right starting volume, the right temperature, and you've achieved the recommended specific gravity levels, then you'll be able to stir the wine to de-gas within the time-frames specified in the instructions.

<LI>If the wine was started at anything other than the full 6 US-gallons (23 litres) or it was fermented cooler than 68 F, or if your gravity readings were not at or below the recommended levels when you did the process, you will not experience consistent success.
<LI>You only need to stir a Winexpert kit four times.

<UL>
<LI>On day one, you have to beat the snot out of the must to mix it properly. A good, arm-cracking one minute stir to froth it up and mix the juice and water will get you off to a good start and a thorough fermentation
<LI>On fining/stabilising day, after you've double-checked the SG, then you can first stir the kit without adding anything--and without racking it off the sediment! (Unless it's a Crushendo kit, but that's covered in the instructions--no racking for any other kit. If you choose to rack it, you will not experience consistent results. This first stirring will be to greatly de-gas the wine, prior to adding any of the fining agents or stablisers. Beat the hell out of it, for one full minute. Use a watch or clock--one minute is a lot longer than most people think. If you can scractch your head with your stirring hand after that one minute, you haven't stirred hard enough. It should be an all-out blizzard of effort that costs you all of your strength, and you should see spots in front of your eyes (see why I tell people to buy a drill-mounted stirring whip?)
<LI>Add the sorbate and the sulphite, and stir again, for one full minute. This time you may break one or two small bones in your stirring arm, but don't slow down--if anything, stir harder.

<LI>Add the fining agent and the F-Pack (if the kit has one) and stir for one more full minute. Have the paramedics standing by with a bag of ice to carry your stirring arm to the hospital where it can be re-attached. Top up with water and call it a day.
</LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]

Now, if you have fizzy wine after this regimen, you don't have a stirring issue. You have eiither got an incomplete or ongoing fermentation, or you're mistaking foam for fizz, or you may have an inicipient lactic acid bacterial infection that is making a bit of CO2 in the wine.

The amount of stirring described will reduce SO2 slightly in the kit: however, the amount it is reduced by is minimal, because rather than uptaking oxygen during this process, the wine out-gasses CO2, which actually scrubs some of the oxygen out of the wine.

If you stir at a time when the wine is not saturated with CO2, you may experience reduced SO2 and potentially expose the wine to oxidation. But then, why are you stirring wine if it's not fizzy?

Hope this helps out

Tim Vandergrift

Technical Services Manager, Winexpert Limited.

Well, I don't think I have ongoing ferm., but then again how would I know??

What about

" or you may have an inicipient lactic acid bacterial infection"

Is there anythingto do for this? And is there a way to tell and does it just ruin the batch of wine?? I don't want an infection, and if I've got one, I want some antibiotic therapy!
smiley11.gif

If I have to pour my first batch down the drain, I'll cry
smiley19.gif

Woah...relax!

If your SG was down to the correct reading before you stabilized and fined then the fermentation is done.

Give it a day or so and taste it again and if it isn't fizzy in your mouth then all is well.

DJ,

It doesn't sound like you have a problem. You can take most any wine and put it in a jar and shake it and get a little pressure build up. This is likely due to the heat from your hands and the rapid movement changing the temp a little which will expand the wine. I'm with Masta, if you don't taste the fizz, then you are most likely OK.

Didn't taste the fizz today, but I did on my peach apricot chard. I have since then pulled out the big boy drill and gotten rid of the weak battery drill. Mixed it up, topped and pushed it out of site (out of mind). Boy, it was sweet tasting. I'm sure it will mellow over the next few weeks.

Thanks guys, I'll only use the manly drill from now on!

DJ,

I had to laugh when I read your lines about the battery drills. For the life of me I have never been able to figure them out. I keep hearing that they're convenient. Not for me! I want Power! MORE POWER!
smiley36.gif

A good battery powered drill has plenty of power and speed to degas your wine anddo almost all jobs around the house!
smiley2.gif

Get an 18 volt or bigger drill and you will never be disappointed. Buy a decent brand one as well and stay away from the Harbor Freight ones (disclaimer: I love and shop Harbor Freight, even have a store local but their battery power tools are crap. I bought a 12 V drill there and it never would hold a charge)

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or what have you and get a decent Skill, or Black and Decker. You don't need a Makita or Milwaukee but if you can afford them, they are great. I have a 12 V B&amp;D which was great but after a year or so it don't fully charge and runs down pretty quick. I have an 18 V Skill I paid like $79.00 at Home Depot. That thing works great and it's charger also conditions the batteries so they don't build a memory effect up.

But hey, a good old corded drill works just great as well. I have 6 corded drills and the newest one is at least 20 years old. Still works like a charm. I have one that was made in the 60's and it still works great as well.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe

Smurfe speaks the truth on the cordless.
smiley32.gif

As a third generation cabinet maker I have several cord/cordless drills. Much like your wine making equipment purchase the best you can afford. Properly cared for they will last forever. I still own and use a drill my grandfather bought back in the early 60's and it works like a champ.

Pepere
smiley2.gif

my batteries never run out i just use a longer cord. I use it from start to finish. Great for disolving the bentointe from the kits starting out and mixing the batch up before the yeast is pitched.

My cordless was a Makita. Plug in a Skill. Both good products. The Makita's batteries are prob. about 15 yrs old. Prob. time for newbies.

Tks-

Latest posts

Back