The degassing blues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade said:
I dont think thats the case if you let them drip dry and I
dont believe that a solution of k-meta has the same effect as just
racking onto the powder does.

I didn't let the bottle dry. I just sprayed the inside with a
spray bottle, poured out the excess, let it sit for a minute and then
put wine in to store temporarily while the level in the carboy was
lowered.

currently, I can hold 20 inches of vacuum for approximately an hour since my last post.

but at this level, there was still gas in the sample I poured.

Are you sure its gas that you are tasting(feeling on your tongue) cause with the drilling and being able to hold 20" of vac. its hard to believe that you still have gas. What is the temp of your wine and not your room. You should have the temp at around 74*. Are you sure youre not just tasting the harshness of a very young wine?

I agree with Wade. I'll bet you are just getting the taste of young wine. It is hard to believe that you still have gas (in the wine) after all the steps you have taken!

I came home tonight after leaving the wine at 20-inches and it is at
17-inches. So it held that all day. I am going to have to
believe that it is degassed. if it is not, then I throw my hands
up :)

The wine is at 75 degrees, I have a stick on thermometer. It has been
that temp the whole time the past few days during the degassing.

As to the comments regarding the taste, It wasn't the taste that I got
the carbonation from, it was the appearance of the wine in the
glass. bubbles on the sides and when swirled would leave bubbles
along where the "legs" were.

We'll see. I'll park it in this carboy for a month or two, then
rack to a bulk age carboy for a few months, give it a taste, check for
gas and hopefully bottle.

thanks for all the help so far.

Ok, Trub, a stick on thermometer is okay, but it is not the true liquid temp. I'm going to guess that if you see 75 on the stick on, if you put a thermo inside, you will see 72 or 73. Still at that temp it's not a big deal, but a small bit of info to keep in your "wine belt".

Wades pic by the way was awesome! Good job Wade. He's our most informative star here. Anyway...once you have the wine holding vac for a long period, you can be assured you have a nice CO2 blanket over the wine. As long as the carboy is on carpet and not a hard surface, give the whole thing a bit of a good violent rock. I bet you'll see your pressure go down to less than 10"hg and a good deal of CO2 get released.

Usually I do both vac and drill. Vac gets ready for the drill and the drill takes out most. Repeat until you pass the bottle "poof" test.

The poof test is to take a bottle of wine, empty about 1 glass out, and then shake it up with your thumb over the top. After you finish shaking, place the bottle near your ear and if you hear a large "poof" you still have CO2.

Back