THE CATS MEOW VINEYARD

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does that variety of blackberry spread out at all? If it does, you could get a pretty good patch going.

You could move 3 year old vines, but it sets them back tremendously to the point where young vines usually do better sooner than they do.

They do not spread out on their own appleman but I am taking some cuttings and trying to root them

Waldo (or any other knowledgable person) - Your berries are looking good - I'm wondering about how many blackberry plants I would need to plant to produce enough berries to make 5 gallons of wine? (not counting those for the cobblers!)
Thanks,
Wayne

Depending on the variety you choose Wayne, I would recommend a minimum of 6. I have the thornless hybrid and believe they are going to be great producers

I suggest you get 10 Wayne. The six Waldo says for the batch of wine and then another 4 for good measure so you are sure to have a cobbler or two also. Ask nice and Waldo might even give you his super secret cobbler recipe!

Thanks Waldo and Appleman - I see they ship to my area inthe fall, so maybe I'll put some plants in then and believe I'll include the cobbler plants as well!
Wayne

Has been a while since I posted anything here. So here goes .......
Started raining here yesterday evening and has been pretty continuous since. Got a brief respite just a bit ago and used the opportunity to get a few quick pictures. Here are pictures of 5 of the grape cuttings rrawhide sent me that I rooted in my greenhouse and just got them put out last Monday.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

They are looking good and hope they do well in spite of what my County Extension Agent says

Here are some more that I am going to keep in pots for a while longer and see how they do.

IMG_3304.jpg

Next are pictures of the three Chokecherry bushes I received from Dragonmaster42, aka Tony and Anthony.

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

They are beginning to leaf out too and hope they will do well

My Blackberries are beginning to bloom

IMG_3307.jpg

My Elderberries are flourishing

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

Not sure if i need to just let these go or thin them out. maybe crackedcork will jump in with some tips or advice

Blueberries are beginning to produce too.

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

I lost 4 of my 6 plants last fall and not sure why. They were healthy looking, even put on a few berries and then they just died. Leaves turned brown way before 1st frost and shed then the trunks turned kinda black looking.

Looking good Waldo. Thanks for the pictures. Good luck with your grape vines and berries.

Thanks K&GB, i'm gonna need a bunch of it.Oh by the way. The grapevines rrawhide sent me were Merlot and Syrah

Good Going....
smiley32.gif

Nice to see everything growing...looks so fresh after the rain.

Good luck with all your fruit bushes, trees and vines. Hope your Chokecherries make it.

Is your soil acidy??? Blueberries like lots of acid in the soil....that may have been the problem with the plants....

Keep us posted...

Waldo, thanks for the pictures. Everything looks so fresh and full of life (except maybe the chokeberrys
smiley1.gif
). I live in a forest with over the top shade otherwise, these pictures would inspire me to give growing something (besides shade trees) a try.

Waldo said:
Has been a while since I posted anything here. So here goes .......
Started raining here yesterday evening and has been pretty continuous since. Got a brief respite just a bit ago and used the opportunity to get a few quick pictures. Here are pictures of 5 of the grape cuttings rrawhide sent me that I rooted in my greenhouse and just got them put out last Monday.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

They are looking good and hope they do well in spite of what my County Extension Agent says

Here are some more that I am going to keep in pots for a while longer and see how they do.

IMG_3304.jpg

Next are pictures of the three Chokecherry bushes I received from Dragonmaster42, aka Tony and Anthony.

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

They are beginning to leaf out too and hope they will do well

My Blackberries are beginning to bloom

IMG_3307.jpg

My Elderberries are flourishing

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

Not sure if i need to just let these go or thin them out. maybe crackedcork will jump in with some tips or advice

Blueberries are beginning to produce too.

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

I lost 4 of my 6 plants last fall and not sure why. They were healthy looking, even put on a few berries and then they just died. Leaves turned brown way before 1st frost and shed then the trunks turned kinda black looking.

Well, the grapes did not make it.
smiley19.gif
With everything else blooming and budding out they remain just brown, drysticks with no green to any part of them. As have my Muscadines, the chokecherrys dragonmaster gave me and a lot of my blackberries, they sucummed to the wetness of the area I planted them in which is the only area I have that is not just red clay gravel beneath the 1/2" or so of top oil on top.

It seems like it is just constant bad weather down there for you Waldo. Maybe everything will wake up soon for you, lagging just a bit behind other things. I hope they didn't all perish, they looked so good in the pictures.

sorry to hear that Waldo...we have been having a lot of rain that keeps coming...2-4 inches coming....2 plus a few days ago and a few before that 5 inches.....gonna go build the arc

I haven't pulled them up yet but they shore look pitiful Ill try and get some pictures this evening

Don't start pulling yet, the ground is still pretty cold. Things are slow down the road from you, too. The 5 chokecherries have leafed out, 3 of the currants have leafed out but 5 are just barely breaking buds. Grapes from rrawhide haven't broken buds yet, but some look like they're just starting to swell a little. The european elderberries I put out are leafed out, but the domestic ones have just a bit of green on the ends of the buds.

Waldo, thanks for the update! I think those "starts" are starting pretty well! We've all been there -- every now and then I go back to the first posts of my vineyard thread to see that I grew 'sticks' for a whole summer!
smiley36.gif

Dave

Waldo i think you had a foot of snow about two weeks ago. at least my daughter down the road from you did in Fayetteville. Those grapes may be playing it safe & staying dorment a little longer than usual.

Back