The Bung popped out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi all, I racked late yesterday afternoon. Put a solid bung on one of the carboys. Came down this morning to find it popped out. What's my chances of this (red) wine going bad?

History: It's been in bulk storage for about two months. Saw some sediment on the bottoms so desided to rack one more time before the long storage.

You should be fine, as long as it's been sulfited correct. Make sure the bung and inside the neck are dry, Then re-insert the bung and give it a twist, if you cant twist it one complete turn it should stay.

That is why i use a drilled bung with an airlock.

I would suggest doing that. Barometric pressure can cause this as well.

Bungs

If the temperature warms up that would build some pressure that could pop it as well. So guess always use air locks, just remember to keep them topped up.

I did see one setup where a fellow sucked the bungs in with a vacum and valve arrangement.

Picture below.

carboyplug.jpg

Kev

Last edited:
True, I normally airlock everthing. It just so happened that I gave my bag of airlocks to my bubby for beer makeing. I didn't think one night would make a difference. I ran over there this morning and got them back to put on mine. Thanks to all.

True, I normally airlock everthing. It just so happened that I gave my bag of airlocks to my bubby for beer makeing. I didn't think one night would make a difference. I ran over there this morning and got them back to put on mine. Thanks to all.

Good job getting them back. I would never use a solid bung on any wine under 6 months old. Actually the only time I use them is for cold stabilizing and then I rack as soon as I take the carboy out of the freezer and air lock the new carboy.

As tjbryner wrote, always dry off the bung and the inside of the neck of the carboy. Otherwise, they will slide out easily and probably do it when you are not looking!!!!

Similar problem - same worry

Hello,
I had a similar problem during bulk aging and I'm not sure why it happens. I noticed last night (for the second time) that water got inside the inner tube of my 3-piece airlock. This kept the inner dome piece from floating. For the life of me I can't figure out how this is happening and/or if this is a problem. I had to remove the airlocks and re-fill them so the inner tube could 'float'. I'm going away for 10 days and I can't worry about this happening again. Any thoughts and / or should I be worried if this happens again.

details....(2) - 3 gal carboys and (1) - 5 gal. carboy. Temp is 55 deg. humidity is 45.

Thank you,
Tony

Hello,
I had a similar problem during bulk aging and I'm not sure why it happens. I noticed last night (for the second time) that water got inside the inner tube of my 3-piece airlock. This kept the inner dome piece from floating. For the life of me I can't figure out how this is happening and/or if this is a problem. I had to remove the airlocks and re-fill them so the inner tube could 'float'. I'm going away for 10 days and I can't worry about this happening again. Any thoughts and / or should I be worried if this happens again.

details....(2) - 3 gal carboys and (1) - 5 gal. carboy. Temp is 55 deg. humidity is 45.

Thank you,
Tony

This is common with the 3-piece bungs. It's either a change in barometric pressure, temperature, or both. There are other threads on this subject and they are current within the last 24 hours, so check them out.

Latest posts

Back