Other The Best Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I have made the RJ Spagnols Winery Series Merlot w/ Merlot Skins and am about to pull the trigger on the Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot. So what is your best Merlot kit? :D

The two Eclipse kits we've done, Zinfandel and Cab show early signs of being worth every penny. I can't imagine the Merlot is any different.

Sorry man, all I can think of right now is Miles' Merlot rant in perhaps the greatest wine move ever... Sideways.

BC

GD, I have a RJS EP Chilean merlot,bulk aged 11 months and 3 weeks in the bottle....pulled the cork on 1 about an hour ago....the bottle`s empty and have a huge smile on my face!..i.m sure it still in bottle shock....but very good and I`m sure it will get better in time....:r

I did a En Primeur High Tail California Merlot back in 2010. Aged it a year and after that, disappeared in just months. I have to say it was one of my better Merlots

Pumpkinman said:
The Eclipse Kit is very good.

I like positive reviews of wines I just started, makes the waiting harder in a good way. Now I just have to get over the doubt you put in my mind on the Eclipse OVZ in the other thread.

I like positive reviews of wines I just started, makes the waiting harder in a good way. Now I just have to get over the doubt you put in my mind on the Eclipse OVZ in the other thread.

Just because one person did not like the wine after a certain time does not mean that you will not. Others have posted positive comments regarding that kit (and the old Estate version pre-Eclipse) on here in the past.

Dawg - I never met a Merlot I didn't like. In January 2013 I started the Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot. I let it bulk age for about 6 months then bottled. Last month opened a bottle and it is the best Merlot I've made. My wife loves it so I don't know how long it will last. I just received an Eclipse Pinot Noir & a Chardonnay that I will start next week after the holidays, but I plan on ordering another Eclipse Merlot soon. The kit is very good and you won't be dissapointed. Just try and wait as long as you can before you start drinking it. Once you start it's hard to stop :).

Thanks guys:h I just ordered the Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the pre Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot buld ageing at 10 months now. I also make the VDV Merlot as my "house" Merlot for my mother-in-law. I don't give her the good stuff because she adds water to it anyways. Bakervinyard

Latest posts

Back