Quantcast

That damn Cork!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
Well we bottled our first batch last night, everything went smooth. and almost all the corks went in just fine...almost all. I got a couple like this:

So I was wondering is Could I use like an exacto-knife to cut the bit off, or should I just use another cork, or is it ok to tap it in with like a rubber mallet (joke). I know using another cork is always the safe bet. but I want to know what my options are :). The bottle is sealed nicely. no leak.

Last edited:

twissty

Reaction score
Just drink those ones first!

I think your problem is that you didn't leave enough headspace in the bottle.

The rubber mallet idea is a no-no. You could break the bottle.

Personally, I'd leave it alone, but use it first.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
the mallet was kinda a joke lol. a hammer and any kind of glass just sounds like a bad idea, especial with liquid in it. (have you ever broken the bottom of a beer bottle filled with water, by smacking the opening lol, great trick)

I was going to put the foil over the tops to make them look nice, that's why I was asking about cutting that bet off.

twissty

Reaction score
There's actually a style of corker that you operate by whacking with a mallet. I imagine that type results in higher than average breakage.

I've got an impressive scar on my hand from college. We were doing fluids&thermodynamics homework in a bar. The beer bottle thing came up so we tried it.....

Go ahead and slice the cork off.. I've done it before

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, before we were going to bottle a guy we know was like, Hey...I have a corker. we were like SWEET!. turned out to be one of the kinds you speak of...looked very unpractical.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I had a bottle that I replaced the cork because it did that same thing, except it was only in 1/2 way.. The 2nd cork did the same thing and then I took a bit out and the 3rd cork worked great!!
Just Sharing......

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Too much wine in there. I guess you could cut the top part off but like someone said here, drink them first and mark them so you know which 1's they are.

Latest posts