Texas wine cellar....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious to know if you've monitored the electric bill any more and how things are coming along. I'm going to have to start bottling soon, and I've got over 200+ bottles I'm going to end up with this year. I think I'm going to have to do something similar in my detached garage just for wine storage. I've maxed out my brewing area already with carboys and equipment.

Looks very useful and handy. I plan on doing something like that in my florida home.

As far as fermenting in higher temps, I recommend getting a plastic storage container, an aquarium heater and pump. Put water in the container and set the fermenting bucket in that and adjust the temp on the heater. I would use the pump to circulate the water. You may be able to also use the pump for pumping from one carboy or bucket to another. You do not run wine through the pump.
I converted a 12 volt tire inflator to do that.

I haven't specifically monitored the electricity from the closet and our electric bills haven't been that high yet. Nothing significant though, maybe $10 to $15 tops per month. It has been running a little more now. When its above 90 outside it tends to turn on every 15 minutes or so. Cools it down with in 2 minutes though.

The unit does dry out the room. I'm trying to figure a way to add some moisture in there cheaply. Also the unit creates a vibration that kind of resonates through the walls and to the wine shelf. I know vibrations are bad for wine, but i'm not sure how bad they have to be to do damage.

I'm just fermenting at the higher temps inside my house. 75 degrees seem's about right for reds.

Not to throw the subject off track, but what is the corks on the door for, other then looking awesome? Also I have to admit I'm getting a little jealous of ur cellar. Looks great so far!

Ayla,

Insulation properties... Corks at usually 1.5 - 1.75 inches long, meaning if you squish them all together on a door - the door would be that much thicker with insulation..

As well as the awesomeness you mentioned

Back