Temps for bulk aging!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I usually Bulk age in my basement with the temp between 60 & 62
I have been Fermenting in the living room at a temp of 74 to 76 (thats what my Thermometer on the carboy indicates)

I placed a small aquarium heater patch on the carboy and then wrap in a blanket which works great for fermentation.

Should I raise or lower either of these?

Should I bulk age warmer. Would warmer clear better?

Since I have 1 batch of Chianti aging and A Cabernet Franc fermenting
would there be any harm in warming up the Chianti for a while to degass or clear, after it has been sitting in 62 degree for over a month?

Last edited:
I usually Bulk age in my basement with the temp between 60 & 62
I have been Fermenting in the living room at a temp of 74 to 76 (thats what my Thermometer on the carboy indicates)

I placed a small aquarium heater patch on the carboy and then wrap in a blanket which works great for fermentation.

Should I raise or lower either of these?

Should I bulk age warmer. Would warmer clear better?

Since I have 1 batch of Chianti aging and A Cabernet Franc fermenting
would there be any harm in warming up the Chianti for a while to degass or clear, after it has been sitting in 62 degree for over a month?

You should only need to warm the fermenter if it is pretty cool. I would think that in your living room, the temperature would be room temperature.
That said, a little heat to get fermentation going is OK. Once it is going, it will generate its own heat. Once fermentation slows down (just watch the temperature start to fall), you can once again add a little heat to keep the fermenter temperature in the 74 to 76F range until fermentation is completed.

60 to 62F is a great temperature for bulk aging.

You should already have degassed your wine because it won't degas well in 60 to 62F. If you still need to degas, yes, you can warm the wine back up, degas, then let the temperature settle back down again.

As long as it is degassed, at that temperature, it will clear more slowly but that's not a problem unless you are in some kind of a hurry. It will clear over time, so there is no need to raise the temperature just so it will clear faster... unless you are in a hurry.

I keep my house temp @ 68,
However during the day the thermostat shuts off and it can drop down below 68.

I wont have that problem now that spring has sprung. HOwever I figured keeping the heat on it during fermentations would keep the wine at a consistent temp rather than jumping up and down.

Thanks for the advice!

Lower temps are better for bulk aging. The key is stable, constant temperature. Fluctuations in temperatures are hazardous to wine at any point.
If you're going to bulk age then an MLF followed by cold stabilization is a huge benefit to wine.
That is if time is not a factor.

Don't mean to hijack but since were talking about bulk aging my question is what is the preferred method air lock or solid bung while bulk aging??:d

Don't mean to hijack but since were talking about bulk aging my question is what is the preferred method air lock or solid bung while bulk aging??:d
Use an air lock, check every so often and make sure there is still liquid in it. If you use a solid bung, changes in barametric pressure can blow the stopper out. If you keep up with the forum, there will be threads starting with that problem. Spring has the big barometer swings and funny things start happening with big glass bottles full of liquid. This is my way of doing it, others will probably say use a bung. Arne.

I always use an airlock.
Always make sure it is filled with water and some type of sterlizing agent!

Yes, 55 is just fine, and it’s also important to maintain a steady temperature. My cellar is temp controlled, maintained at 55 year round.

Thanks for the response! Ok, mine will go from 54 to 56 depending how cold it is out but no sever swings. Is that ok?

Latest posts

Back