Temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
Today, I took one of those stick-on thermometers that are used on aquariums and stuck it on the side of my primary.
It's been holding aroun 70 to 72 deg. F. The airlock is bubbling happily.
I also have a probe type thermometer and a floating one too.

What does everyone else use to keep track of temperatures? How often do you take readings?

Most yeast have an optimal temp range to work properly. Too cold and the wine will stop fermenting. Too warm and the yeast will stop, you could get off flavors. I keep track through out active fermentation and just when I add kmeta during bulk aging.
VC

I'm new at this, 2 kits going now in carboys, but I rigged a ceramic tile with a reptile pad , 16W, underneath that keeps the tile gently warm. I rewired a home depot thermostat to control the pad's on/off. I took the thermistor out of the themostat and connected it to a small rod of stiainless steel that sits directly in the wine. SO.. the stainless rod/thermometer turns on the repitle pas as needed to maintain whatever temprature I set.

smiley20.gif

Just make sure to not be applying too much heat on the bottom, you could potentially wipe out the yeast. Brew belts are nice as they wrap the entire fermentor and are up off the floor. I would think a 8x8 ceramic tile would disperse the heat better than nothing

Mike,

There shouldn't be any problem with a reptile pad heating a carboy - if it would burn the yeast it would burn certain types of reptiles. My Florida Kingsnake things the pads are just dandy and the main contributing factor is that the pad is heating the glass of the aquarium. The glass of a carboy is more robust than the aquarium glass and I've not had any problems. Also, since heat rises, little micro-convection currents will occur in the carboy providing a gentle 'mixing' effect.

- Jim

The wine has warmed up a bit. Holding at 74 deg. F. since around 10 am.
It's warmer out today so our basement apartment isn't as frigid.
The air temp of the room is at 70 deg. F. It seems the yeast are creating a microclimate in the fermenter.

That stick on thermometer is pretty handy so far.

I'd say your wine is "working" if the temp in the fermenter has risen. The yeast do generate heat as they get to it.

I think I'm going to leave it in primary until monday. that'll make one week. then i'll rack it to .. umm plastic. ;)

Some will say that stick on thermo isnt correct but mine works very well as Ive checked it against a floater and a thermohydromter. I use them all the time.

I use stick-on thermometers for wine and beer fermentations and they've always worked just fine.

Jim Cook- To make sure credit is given - I got the idea from one of your old posts. I thought the ceramic tile would provide a bit more heat transfer than the Lexan, but.. never would have thought about the reptile pad without your suggestion. I also feel much more comfortable with the pad being left on since it's only 16W and designed to be on all day.

We leave my turtle's heat pad on all the time except for summer. If I went that route I would put a tile or some brick under the carboy.

Cheers, Articwater. The pad works well, especially during the cold months or for degassing when an elevated temperature is needed. The ceramic tile should do the same thing as the Lexan, as well. I hope it works well for you.
- Jim

Yes I agree it was a brilliant idea and I think you and George should get together and market a product.

Back