Temperature Regulation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gedanken

Bottle Monkey
Reaction score
I have been lurking for awhile and I occasionally see a thread on temperature regulation during fermentation. Unfortunately, we all don't have optimal places to put a fermentation vessel to keep it from getting too cold or even too hot. I have seen some nice hacks that involve brew belts on glass carboys (not recommended) and wiring schemes that would make a fire marshal cringe. I think I have a better solution.

I went to my local discount store and found the standard laundry basket that looks like bottom of a barrel. They usually have rope handles. I then went to the pet department and picked up a aquarium heater with a built in thermostat. I also grabbed a aquarium "bubbler" device.

You fill tub partially with water and put in the aquarium heater to preheat the water. The bubbler is added to keep the water circulating. Once the water is up to temperature, put your fermentation vessel in and you are done.

Notes:
  • The range of temperature for tropical fish matches almost perfectly to the range of temperatures in which yeast thrive.
  • Make sure you get an aquarium heater with a built in thermostat that is adjustable. This way you can "experiment".
  • Make sure you get a heater that is large enough. Don't just look at the # of gallons the heater is rated. That rating is only for pulling that many gallons to a temperature above normal ambient levels. In other words - if you have a cold garage - buy bigger!
  • The water may get a little funky depending on where this setup is located. In those situations, cover with towels and put a capful of bleach or the like to prevent scum build up.
  • This heats in an even fashion. You can't get that with the common brew belt setup.
  • If things get too hot - throw some ice into the water to cool things back down.

My setup was about $50 and it won't burn down the house.

Welcome to the forum.
This is a good idea, and it has been around for awhile.

It works best if you use the longer heater and even better when you use two of them, one on each side.

It's also a good idea to put the heater in a tall thin glass or jar. That way, if the water level drops unexpectedly or you decide to remove the primary and forgot to pull the plug, the heater will always be submerged. If the heating element is exposed to air for even a brief moment, it will crack or shatter. This doesn't negatively effect temp circulation as the convection action sucks cold water into the jar as the hot water rises.

That is a good idea!!!

I use a chest freezer and thermostat override - costs about $100 - $120 - that is if you can find a good deal on a chest freezer..

It's also a good idea to put the heater in a tall thin glass or jar. That way, if the water level drops unexpectedly or you decide to remove the primary and forgot to pull the plug, the heater will always be submerged. If the heating element is exposed to air for even a brief moment, it will crack or shatter. This doesn't negatively effect temp circulation as the convection action sucks cold water into the jar as the hot water rises.

I am glad you brought this up. I was concerned about this as well. I picked up a very specific heaters from Aqueon. They have a pro heater line that isn't much more expensive then a normal heater that has no glass components and shuts off automatically if it is left out of water.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm

Good discussion.

By the way, concerning it not being recommended to use a brew belt on a carboy -
That question comes up often on the forum. Most of us use our brew belts on glass carboys on a regular basis. To my knowledge, no one has ever had a problem doing this.

The only way I can think of, that a carboy might crack is if a hot brew belt were placed on a very cold carboy. That is just my own personal opinion, though.

If anyone out there has had a carboy crack because of a brew belt, we would all like to hear about it. Please give details about circumstances, temperatures and such.

I am glad you brought this up. I was concerned about this as well. I picked up a very specific heaters from Aqueon. They have a pro heater line that isn't much more expensive then a normal heater that has no glass components and shuts off automatically if it is left out of water.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm

Those are perfect for our application! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what the pros/cons are of throwing a heater directing into the must.

I figure the heater and anything within half an inch or so will get very hot as the heat radiates out from there. Just guessing but that could kill any yeast that is that close and also could cook the wine that close. Certainly any yeast that come into direct contact with the wall of the heater would be toast.

Robie has pointed out a good issue to consider, but there is something else to think about. These heaters are fully submersible and when they are submersed, you can hear and feel air escaping and fluid going "somewhere". I think that it would be a pain to completely clean and sanitize one of these things after being put in the must.

Latest posts

Back