Temperature Correction for Initial SG Reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
Been several months since I did a batch of wine so I'm putting it down to a layover brain-fart. Did a kit for a Niagara Merlot and rinsing out the factory bag of juice, didn't pay close enough attention to the temperature of the water I was using. Was pretty hot. When everything was done mixing to the final volume, the initial SG was at 1.099 but I noted the temperature of the mixed batch was at approximately 84 degrees. Knowing it would eventually cool down to my room temp of 70 degrees, I didn't think too much of this. This morning, about 14 hours after the initial mixing, the fermentation is really strong and temperature is down to 76 so far (my room is a constant 70. My question has to do with a correction on the initial SG reading at such warm temperature. My hydrometer is calibrated to 68 degrees so I'm wondering if my initial reading of 1.099 was correct or does it need to be temperature adjusted? Jerry :a1

Any number of online calculators, such as this one, tell me your initial SG should be corrected to 1.101. Not exactly a big deal in my opinion, which is why I never worry about the correction factor!

Latest posts

Back