Temperature Controlled Fermentation Chamber

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
So ive been thinking about making a self contained cabinet to ferment multiple batches. My question is what is the ideal temp to have it at? 75? what would be the min's & max's?

Most will be OK at 72 however many (like whites and apple) will be better at 60.

I'm afraid the answer is that it depends. Different yeast strains and different styles of wine require different temps.

I agree with above, different temps are needed in different circumstances.

So maybe a better approach would be to section it off with 2 compartments with individual controls/temps. But would it really make a diff if you did one at 60 and one at 70? I mean most all of us do this in whatever room we have available & whatever temp that room stays at? So if i keep it at a constant 70 wouldnt that be a happy medium?

How are you going to control the temp, and is it something you could make adjustable?

Warmer ferments on delicate wines will burn the flavors right out while cooler ferments leave much more fruity esters. what size batches are you talking about as for reds or to keep the temps up on 6 gallon batches or less I use the brew belt and have been doing so for about 10 years on bucket and glass.

To fully control the temperature you might have to also add cooling capabilities, because the fermentor will be enclosed. The must generally only needs warming until fermentation starts. After that, it generates its own heat.

I use the brewbelt to get the temperature to a good starting place for the type of wine, then remove it after fermentation starts. Many times after fermentation slows, because my fermentation room is cold, I add the brew belt again, only if I need higher temperatures for the type of wine I am making.

I have a friend in Canada whose fermentation room is very cold. He places his fermentor inside a large tub of water. He buys the longest fish aquarium heaters he can find. He places two of the heaters in the water of the tub. Since the heaters are adjustable, they will shutoff when fermentation generates its own heat; then come back on when fermentation slows.

A blanket can be placed around the tub and fermentor to hold in the heat.

Wow! I read the whole topic and that is one nice fermentor chamber.
Good luck on your project.

I would like to have an old refrigerator I could use for cold stabilizing. Those En Primeur kits are great but I'd like to have something where the tartaric crystals will drop out before bottling.

i was thinking of using that guys idea, just basically turning it on its side so i could house multiple 5-6 gal carboys & buckets. The brew belts seem ok, but for 25.00 a piece plus controllers it would get pretty $x$! Id think i could find some cheap dorm fridge on craigslist. and use the guts from that. I just really need to educate myself more on the what temp ranges i need to have. Ebay has controllers for $20.00 Ea.

My main reason to make a contained space is the fact that i have 3 nosy cats & a 4 month old Black lab. Plus just found out the wife is preg. so id def like to have a lockable unit to store & ferment in.

Latest posts

Back