Finer Wine Kit Tavola and Forte clearance sale - 5/16/2023

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know how much is in the Tavola?
I recall reading that it was 1.6 gallons vs. 2 gallons. Both Tavola and Forte over-deliver in terms of the expected ABV which FWK posts. For Tavola that posted as 12-13% and Forte is 13.5-14%, whereas I think folks often get more like 13-14+ with Tavola, and 14-15+ with Forte.

In any event, those numbers suggest that it would be more like only 10% less in the Tavola, so closer to 1.8 g assuming Forte is 2.0 g. Source: math!

Both kits arrived today ... let the games begin!
The Zinfandel I ordered arrived as well. I just finished making the yeast starter and preparing the batch. Tomorrow I can pitch it sometime after I get up. Probably due to house design reasons, my kitchen is always in the low-mid 70's, so the yeast take off in their starter like bandits.
One thing I never noticed until today, was just how jammy zinfandel smells. This is probably due to the increase in wine consumption that happens to go along with this hobby. Your nose starts to pick up more and more.

Good stuff.

I have been thinking about doing a kit, a peanut butter porter or similar, but was leery of having 6 gallons of something I hardly liked.
Here's mine. My son & I are making it again.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2018-chocolate-peanut-butter-porter/
I may have a problem.
No, you have a solution.

One thing I never noticed until today, was just how jammy zinfandel smells.
That is Zin. Some folks don't like it, but for others? It's great. I like most Zin's, but find it more useful in blends.

Here's mine. My son & I are making it again.
Thanks for sharing. I will have to see what they have at my LHBS for ingredients and start gathering things up.

I have a plate chiller on the way. I already have an 8 gallon milk can pot with a threaded port at the bottom that I can put a valve on, or a big stock pot depending on the recipe. I have a Blichman burner too, but I think that might be overkill. I am thinking the kitchen will be the best place to set up for my first attempt.

Is that about all a fella needs outside of wine making equipment?

And aging beer, what's your take on that? I see you noted it in your recipe, the internet tells me it's a mixed bag of opinion whether to bother or not.

Thanks for sharing. I will have to see what they have at my LHBS for ingredients and start gathering things up.
Although I boiled on my stove for many moons, currently I do it outside. This keeps the house from smelling of malt for the following week, which Mrs. WM81 much appreciates.

If you have a heat source, a stable base, and a stainless steel pot that is large enough, you're set for boiling. Mine is marketed for beer and large soup or stew making (party size), and connects to a propane tank -- I simply disconnect from my grill and connect to the burner built into the base.

Watch for boiling over, as it makes a HUGE mess that is a royal PITA to clean up. I keep a large glass of cold water handy to prevent an overflow, although the huge pot I have for outside boiling makes it easier to avoid. As with fermenting wine, don't fill the pot more then 3/4 full.

Aging beer totally depends on the beer, and somewhat on the method. I do 2 stage beer, meaning that once fermentation completes, I rack to a carboy and let it settle for 2 weeks. Then rack, add sugar for carbonation, and bottle. From there the beer needs a minimum of 2 weeks in the bottle to carbonate.

One advantage of 2 stage is the beer is a bit clearer and there is very little sediment in each bottle.

For lighter ales, I find 4 to 6 weeks in the bottle is sufficient aging for the beer to be good, and for best results, use up in 6 to 9 months. As beer ages it loses bitterness and gets malty. The lifespan of a beer will depend on how bitter you make the beer and your liking for bitterness vs maltiness.

The chocolate peanut butter porter I posted was good for about a year. It would have lasted longer, had I made a larger batch. Maybe 1-1/2 years.

This keeps the house from smelling of malt for the following week, which Mrs. WM81 much appreciates.
Hmmm, I have 25,000 btu burners and a decent hood fan, which added to the comfort and bug free enjoyment of the kitchen I was really liking the idea. However, you make a very valid point. The last 4 wines kits that I did all at once was enough to get some comments. I imagine a boiling mash has some real sticking power, too. I hadn't considered that part.

Hmmm, I have 25,000 btu burners and a decent hood fan, which added to the comfort and bug free enjoyment of the kitchen I was really liking the idea. However, you make a very valid point. The last 4 wines kits that I did all at once was enough to get some comments. I imagine a boiling mash has some real sticking power, too. I hadn't considered that part.
Mrs. WM81 does not like the smell when I'm fermenting 700 lbs of grapes in the cellar. It permeates the house. I do what I can to reduce the impact on her.

@vinny - What range do you have? We've got a Capital that puts out 25K btu. Blue Star perhaps?

@vinny - What range do you have? We've got a Capital that puts out 25K btu. Blue Star perhaps?
No I have a Capital 36 inch range top with griddle. I believe you weighed in when I was asking for input. I couldn't find any extra value in the hefty price jump for the Bluestar and I am glad because I love the Capital burners

I made liver and onions last night and I miss judged the thaw time of the liver. I cooked my onions for over an hour, low 'n slow. They were glorious.

PXL_20230521_010302217.jpg
You don't need this shot, but maybe I can entice someone! :p
PXL_20230521_012714064.jpg
PXL_20230521_023442472.jpg

Just so you know, standing at the 23l bucket smelling the fermenter has NO EFFECT on me but if I drink a bottle while watching my FWK ferment its totally different. 😀Watching doesn't help the process either.

Its so cool using skins & seeds for this Forte PN. I hope everyone is enjoying their on sale kit!

I put my order in on the 16th and it's still awaiting shipment. I'm not up in arms or anything, since I'll just be putting it in the freezer until this fall. I'm just wondering if there may be an issue with my order. If it goes 2 weeks I may send them an email. I see that some people have received theirs, so I'm curious what the turnaround time was for other people's shipments.

I put my order in on the 16th and it's still awaiting shipment. I'm not up in arms or anything, since I'll just be putting it in the freezer until this fall. I'm just wondering if there may be an issue with my order. If it goes 2 weeks I may send them an email. I see that some people have received theirs, so I'm curious what the turnaround time was for other people's shipments.
That’s very unusual. If it’s me, 9 days is long enough to wait. Message LP and see what’s up. I think we put in our orders the same day and I’m half way through fermentation.

Back