Tasting during the process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSW1

Junior
Reaction score
At what points in the winemaking process should you taste the wine?

completion of primary fermentation and each racking?

How do you know if your wine has gone bad or simplyvery green andharsh due to age?

What should you be looking for in each taste during the process?

thanks
Bret

I would say to taste a very small amount at just about every stage. This will eventually tell you over time what to expect at different intervals. Just dont expect too much at all in the form as enjoyable until you are racking from a carboy for the second time, that is about when it will actually start tasting like wine but for most higher end kits you will still have a long way to go but it will be well worth the wait. Dont sample too much at these times though or youll be forever trying to top up your wine or only finish off with a little over 5 gallons.Welcome and glad you have joined in our ecer growing family!

Like what Wade said taste, taste, taste.
Remember you are making wine for yourself in most cases. Just keep the wine profile. Before bottling taste, and if not to your liking that is when you can change it to your liking.
A fellow winemaker showed me how to backsweeten (making Simple Syrup). I then asked how much to add. His answer.. "TO YOUR TASTE"
Good luck,
Tom
smiley20.gif

Taste when you pick/harvest or purchase form your supplier
Taste when you destem,
Taste after you destem,
Taste before it starts fermenting,
Taste during primary fermentation,
Taste after Primary
Taste during secondary
Taste during oaking
Taste during aging
Taste a month after bottling (skip the bottle shock period)
Taste throughout that first year of bottling.
Taste for the next several years.

That is twelve tasting periodsat minimum.

You wine is unlike any food you have ever known or experienced. It has a tale to tell. And you will not understand it unless you read all the chapters.

So calculate your liquid needs ahead of time to work with your storage capacity.

The veterans here will chime in if I have missed any additional tasting periods. :)

You should taste in between tastings to be sure that what you tasted tasted like it is supposed to taste! Say that 10 times fast!
smiley36.gif
Hicup!

not only that ....but include others in your tastings...especially family members (like i said keep extra wine on hand to refill the aging tanks

Latest posts

Back