Tarte Tatin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
Because-
1. I've been really enjoying a mix I made of bochet and apple wine
2. That mix is all gone and I don't have enough money to get a batch of honey
3. I love tarte Tatin- a sort of French apple pie where the apples are caramelized with the sugar that becomes it's sauce..

- I decided to experiment with making a caramel of 5 lbs of sugar plus enough apple juice concentrates to wet that sugar. Once it was a dark appley caramel, I added more concentrates (can't remember how many but it was enough to make 5 gallons of juice by instruction on the can, and then some). And water to make up 5 gallons. Fermenting now with 71b and it's a lovely red brown color and smells delicious!

Vin du Tatin?

downward that does sound good...i like grapeman would start it higher then 1.095...but i all ways do.

Yum! Keep us posted please. I did the RJS Apple Tatin Port and it is AMAZING.

Would love to see that translated into a wine!

I'm working on something like this, that sounds like the version you wish you could have made, which is my Apple-Pear Bochet

4 gallons of apple cider
30lbs of pears
3 quarts honey - 2 Bocheted to differing degrees & one left natural

Added additives, yeast, time..

Smells pretty good as of now - very light apple-pear aroma with strong toasted and caramel-type notes; a few weeks ago it was more pronounced with the apple-pear - it's going through some changes

Considering, later down the road, taking a gallon or two and adding additional spices and maybe even some brandy

I'll get to a bochet again later, they are tasty. But right now I'm hoping I can get a similar caramel flavor from sugar and caramelized apple instead. May not have to buy honey again! ;)

Latest posts

Back