Mosti Mondiale Tart Zinfandel _ Mosti Sonoma Edition help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geepmaley

Junior
Reaction score
I got one of the Sonoma Edition Zin kits and it is currently in primary,sittingat roughly 1.000 so almost finished primary. Had a sample last night and it is pretty tart.
Anyone else experiencing this?
What's the fix?

Time!
You should expect it to take at least 6-12 months to come around and start to taste like a wine should. 18 months to really get good and 2 years to reach peak maturity.

Mike, appreciate it. This is the first all juiceI'vedone and Idid n;t get the tart taste in my other kits that wereconcentrate.

One things for sure, all kits are a little different. The Zin kit I made took a LONG time to come around but come around it did. It was a CC Showcase OVZ. We don't have a lot of data points on these new MM kits so you are blazing the trail so to speak!

I just finished an all-juice Pinot Noir a few years old. It had been tart but was steadily getting better. I thought they were gone, but found this one yesterday. Man, did it come around. That was an All-Juice MM Pinot.

I have about 6 left of my MM AJ Pinot Noir. Its 26 mo old and we have been opening up a few as of late with friends. Definitely hitting its stride nicely.
The best kept "secret" about kit wines that really isn't out there all that much is to open the bottle the night before, pour a glass for your self, stuff the cork back into it and then leave the rest of it for the next night or even the night after that.
You will be amazed at how the wine has opened up and improved!

ibglowin said:
I have about 6 left of my MM AJ Pinot Noir. Its 26 mo old and we have been opening up a few as of late with friends. Definitely hitting its stride nicely.

The best kept "secret" about kit wines that really isn't out there all that much is to open the bottle the night before, pour a glass for your self, stuff the cork back into it and then leave the rest of it for the next night or even the night after that.

You will be amazed at how the wine has opened up and improved!

Mike:

Are you saying that the wine wasn't degassed enough? Or does allowing the wine to breathe provide some other benefit?

Steve

Just breathing more, especially with the kits I made in the first year or so that never had any barrel time and spent their whole life in a closed glass container.
They really shine if you let them breath and open up.
They seem to take much longer than a commercial wine to fully open up.

Oak spirals or staves is the next best thing to a barrel. You just dont get the micro oxygenation from it that way as you do with a barrel.

ibglowin said:
One things for sure, all kits are a little different. The Zin kit I made took a LONG time to come around but come around it did. It was a CC Showcase OVZ.

I had the exact same experience, Mike. I think it took about 22 months and then the Zin was excellent!

Latest posts

Back