Tannin ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Some recipes ask for Tannin and some don't.
What is Tannin for?

I am about to make a raspberry wine.
smiley1.gif

Tannin
Substances in must that give wine a tart taste. Occurs naturally in stems, skins, and pips of grapes

So I intend to age this wine no more than 2 years and strart to drink it in 1 year.
I guest I should go without tannin ?

I have made a lot of Raspberrywine and have never added tannin. If anything I would Oak it just a little for about 8 to10 weeks. Although you will get a bit of natural tannin fron the oak it is not as intense as adding pure tannin. I think a balance of acidity will hive you what your looking for. That crispness and clean mouthfeel. Tannins will tend to give a dry bitter taste. The tartness can be taken care of by back sweetening if thats what you are planning to do.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bill B said:
I have made a lot of Raspberrywine and have never added tannin. If anything I would Oak it just a little for about 8 to10 weeks. Although you will get a bit of natural tannin fron the oak it is not as intense as adding pure tannin. I think a balance of acidity will hive you what your looking for. That crispness and clean mouthfeel. Tannins will tend to give a dry bitter taste. The tartness can be taken care of by back sweetening if thats what you are planning to do.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0">Bill

It is my first raspberry wine, I received 56 LBS raspberry from a farm close to my place.

I made my first batch with 22 LBs of berries, I would like to blend it with another wine, do you have any sugestion for a blend ?

Casper: I tried a raspberry mead this summer that was to die for. I have a 6 gal batch of mead, and am planning on mixing in some raspberry wine when it's completed (I haven't even started it yet) The mead has been bulk aging about 5 months or so. I read on the bottle of ras/mead they mixed it 60% mead 40% Raspberry. I'm hoping to try the same thing.

I would say whatever you have available. You could mix it with a kit
wine like Zinfandel or even another fruit like Blackberry. This is
whats so great about making your own wine, you can do whatever you like.

Well I have a Watermelon batchstill in the carboy. I will do some taste trials.
I definitly need to blend my watermelon wine, I don't like it by itself.

Latest posts

Back