Tally ho ol chaps!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another one of those bloody old limeys invading again. never mind, load of old bloody cobbers if you ask me. By george - I gotta run down the apples and pears and grab meself an eel pie.....

meanwihle...

Hi, I'm Phil totally new to winemaking (odd name eh!!)

I have been making Sloe Gin, and have a vast supply of sloes, so have decided to do the decent thing and make some wine with the remainder.

I've got hold of a decent recipe but really want to stay clear of adding any additive that is not totally essential (pectic enzyme is about as far as I want to go)

Am I right in thinking I can use Campden tablets to sterilise everything, without adding them to the wine itself? the recipe I have doesn't call for Campden tablets at all..

Welcome to the forum philoldsmobile. How big of batches are you making? If you can find the k-mets in powder for it is cheaper and easier to use.

Welcome to the forum philoldsmobile. How big of batches are you making? If you can find the k-mets in powder for it is cheaper and easier to use.

Hi, thanks for the welcome

initially not large - about 5 liters. I'll post a link to the recipe I'm using when I have five posts..

Welcome Phil. Yes, Campden is a sanitizer. If you plan on storing any of this wine for any time then I highly recommend using some of those campden tablets in your wine after the fermentation is done.

Welcome Phil. Yes, Campden is a sanitizer. If you plan on storing any of this wine for any time then I highly recommend using some of those campden tablets in your wine after the fermentation is done.

does it affect the taste in any way?

this is the recipe

1.8kg sloes (blackthorn fruit)
juice of 1 lemon
5cm lenghth of root ginger, chopped and pounded
100ml strong black tea (for the tannin)
1.8kg sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tso pectic enzyme
4.5l unchlorinated water
Yeast (sherry yeast is good for this)

Method:

Pick over the sloes, de-stalk then place in a bucket along with the ginger then cover with 1l boiling water then mash down (this should sterilize the fruit (if you want to be absolutely certain they're sterile add 1/2 tsp sulphite)).

Allow to cool to blood temperature (no higher than 40°C) then mash the fruit once again and add the pectic enzyme, lemon juice and tea. Cover and set aside (if you used sulphite you will have to leave for at least 24 hours, or until the sulphur smell has gone).

When ready, prepare a yeast starter by combining the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 200ml lukewarm water. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes to activate. When ready add to the pulp mixture and stir in with a sterilized metal spoon. Cover and set aside to ferment for about 6 days (stir well each day).

Strain the pulp into a demijohn then combine the sugar with 2l water in a pan. Bring to a boil, dissolve the sugar then take off the heat and set aside until lukewarm then add to the demijohn and make up to 5l with more water. Fit a bung and a fermentation lock and leave to ferment in a warm place until it has fermented out (ie all fermentation has stopped). Rack the wine ino a second fermentation jar, add a bung and a fermentation lock and set aside in a cool place until the wine clears.. As soon as the wine is clear and stable rack into bottles and stopper with corks.

Lay the bottles down in a cool place and allow to mature for at least 12 months (2 years if you can). This is an excellent dry white wine, somewhat reminiscent of a fine sherry.

Not in the amounts we use. With capmden tablets, after fermentation is done I would use 3.5 tablets per 5-6 gallon (US) batch

Another welcome to the forum, Phil.
Milton Keynes must be a hotbed of winemaking - I believe you're the third one recently on the forum from there!

Yes, but one of our Milton Keynes users has dissapeared for quite some times, hope she is alright!

Another Limey, its alright, I enjoy a little lime with my Gin. Welcome aboard and good luck with the wine. I don't think the Campden effects the taste, we use very little.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back