Taking on a vineyard project - Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, when the wine is being consumed? I suspect they sell all they grow and probably don't care much past that. One possible caveat. Over pampering, watering and fertilizing can produce larger but tasteless fruits and vegetables in some cases. I'm sure you'll taste a few from each section when appropriate.

Visited the vineyard today. The spraying for the leafhoppers did nothing to curb those critters. I think if my spray had any effect, it was only on the buggers I sprayed, which was limited to my row. I did see some evidence of deer or critter eating a cluster or two, but it was pretty limited.
Verasion is coming to an end and I think it will be a race between the canopy holding up due to the damage by the leafhoppers and full ripeness. We shall see. Last year I got grapes on Sept 2nd @ 22.5 brix. We were forced to pick then due to the condition of the fruit. I’m hoping my row can hold on another week or two (mid Sept) and get to 24 or so brix.

368503E4-5DC8-4D91-AD98-C64D29023F92.jpeg

@NorCal What did you end up spraying for leaf hoppers with?

The last few years they have seem to have found my vines and while I am not seeing canopy collapse just yet, they seem to be worse with each season. I am looking at harvesting this week just because of these little SOB's.

@NorCal What did you end up spraying for leaf hoppers with?

The last few years they have seem to have found my vines and while I am not seeing canopy collapse just yet, they seem to be worse with each season. I am looking at harvesting this week just because of these little SOB's.
I used Monterey Horticultural Oil.

It looks like it is going to be a challenging week for those vines with compromised canopies. Those clusters exposed to this afternoon sun for a week may not fare too well. I'll have to go out and visit the vineyard this week and maybe take a brix reading. I have seen these temperature spikes speed up sugar accumulation, but I've also seen vines stall during these spikes in temperature as well. I suspect dehydration plays a big part.

temp.jpg

Yea, I’m going ask her to bump it up. Looks like my enemy is deer. They got the first 6 or so vines and are working their way down.
F550E03E-F88D-4462-AFDE-A695A2741B71.jpeg
but still some good fruit left
EA5DDCFE-19CD-4B5A-90C6-72B6D94D1563.jpeg
7BDBF681-FEBC-4296-9A98-6E20BEB6FEB9.jpeg
brix check, seeds still green
CF9381AA-65E5-4CC0-841A-5F81C0C42E1F.jpeg
98BB425D-6D29-4AA1-92A9-DDCA727AC692.jpeg

Update: Received a text back from the vineyard owner. “Yes. You are right. I will (increase) water . I have a dog patrol my vineyard now. Thank you”

Last edited:
Dang, so close. A bird will leave the the skins and just peck at the sweet center part until its all gone. That looks like a four legged thief to me.

Visited the vineyard yesterday, brix jumped from 20.2 to 22.5 in a week. I've seen heat increase brix, as well as have them stall. The seeds are most all brown at this point. The canopy is hanging in there, but the leaf hoppers are doing their best to make it fall apart. Deer have taken more fruit. I'm hoping the canopy will hold up for another week and a half or two weeks, so we can have more hang time and brix levels at or above 24. I've decided to harvest the fruit myself, as I will avoid any clusters with damage to them.

IMG_1950.jpg

Visited the vineyard yesterday, brix jumped from 20.2 to 22.5 in a week. I've seen heat increase brix, as well as have them stall. The seeds are most all brown at this point. The canopy is hanging in there, but the leaf hoppers are doing their best to make it fall apart. Deer have taken more fruit. I'm hoping the canopy will hold up for another week and a half or two weeks, so we can have more hang time and brix levels at or above 24. I've decided to harvest the fruit myself, as I will avoid any clusters with damage to them.

View attachment 65029

Are the deer still working on the grapes?

So my question. Do the leaf hoppers affect the fruit in any way as far as taste, flavor profile. Do they leave their poop all over the fruit?

View attachment 65029

Yea lost
Are the deer still working on the grapes?
The dang things started on the first row and are working their way down. I’ve lost 10% or so and if I avoid the partially eaten grapes maybe 15%. The owner said she is getting out there and scaring them off, but that only goes so far.

So my question. Do the leaf hoppers affect the fruit in any way as far as taste, flavor profile. Do they leave their poop all over the fruit?
The leafhoppers are after the leaves and do their damage there. I haven’t seen any direct damage on the fruit, just indirect when the canopy prematurely falls apart.

My experience is that deer are creatures of habit and will follow the edge of a vineyard. Since your row is on the edge, that places you in the danger zone. Call Kenny Loggins!

Congrats on finding a vineyard, however much of a pain it is. I am currently managing two lots of cab sauv and merlot also. They are lots that were planted by previous owners and the current owners are basically overwhelmed by the management of the vines. The romance is dead I would say. Local vineyards were coming in and doing some pruning and taking the fruit, but I would describe it as strip mining the vineyard and not maintaining the vines. I am having to deal with sick, dying and dead vines. Once I got in and started to work with the vines it was apparent what a mess the vineyards are. So, I am left to decide if I invest my own time and money into getting the grapes I want out of the vines. Currently I am dealing with nutrition and disease issues. I just sent petioles off to A and L labs in Modesto for analysis. Kicking myself for not doing that sooner. Only $35

Went to the vineyard earlier in the week. With the hot weather, the vines have stalled and Brix measured out at 22.5 The leafhoppers are starting to get to the canopy, with leaves loosing their ability to shade the clusters. The worse part is the deers have now eaten 30% or more of my cared for grapes. They are smart animals and see the low hanging fruit!

Even though I would like to let the grapes hang another week, I think the best thing is to get the grapes this weekend. My son-in-law has agreed to come up and help me harvest and crush the grapes. I know the vineyard owner and I was expecting 750-800 pounds, but I will be surprised if we get 400 pounds, as I will only take clusters that I want to make wine out of, which rules out those that have been partially eaten by deer.

I am set to harvest my prize row of Merlot grapes on Sunday! My son in law is coming up to help me harvest. I got a call from the vineyard owner. Her first words were, Ken, I’m so sorry. Not the way you want to start a conversation. She explained that all the other rows have many shoots sticking out in all directions that it makes it difficult for the deer to get the fruit, where my row the fruit hangs down and the deer have left all the other fruit alone in the 1 acre vineyard, except my row. The plan was 750-800 pounds from my row. She thinks there is only 200 pounds left. She has offered me another row, but really defeats the purpose of a years worth of work. I’ll see it on Sunday and decide what to do.

Harvest completed!

In the end, the deer ate 2/3 of the fruit! I got 250 pounds out of the 750 pounds expected. However, the fruit that I did get, looked pretty darn good (23 brix 3.55 pH). The owner saved another row of Merlot grapes for me. We cherry picked another 100 pounds and left the rest (she wasn’t too happy). I wasn’t going to sacrifice the quality of the wine I want to make by including marginal fruit. It was nice to have my son in law to help and we were able to chat for a few hours.
I asked if she would consider putting up deer fence, to which she replied “no, cost too much”. This will conclude my relationship with the vineyard. I’m happy I was able to see the difference in the fruit due to my care and while I’m not getting the volume I wanted for my barrel, the wine that I am making from these grapes should be really nice.

EE022B61-544E-4250-9EB4-7C64B442863C.jpeg

Back