Taking My Label Making To A New Level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" No comprendo"

Our computer was making a nasty sound yesterday morning...shut her down and it restarted with out the grinding. We looked a new computer at the store yesteday...a DELL,it had a 22" screen and Vista...I shrugged and thought..."these old brains can't do this"..we walked away....

I know the day will soon come that I have to upgrade to a new computer...but..."Please God!!!" "Let me get our taxes done and then go on from there."

Sorry to hear your having so many issues Waldo. My wife got a laptop for Christmas and the first thing we did was to get Vista off of it and installed Windows XP on it, no problems since.

Appleman: For drafting, get the quad if you can. we have one and it's amaxing! Warning: Get all the fans you can get! Along with a liquid cooling system, they run very hot.

NW: Sounds like you just need a new fan installed...... $30 bucks or less if you can do it yourself...... (realistically $8 if you can do it yourself)

NW: Sounds like you just need a new fan installed...... $30 bucks or less if you can do it yourself...... (realistically $8 if you can do it yourself)

A fan??? Where do I get one???

I hear something running in there...I thought it might be a fan...I never shut this computer off...It's been running for 4+ years...It hibernates when not in use.

I will look into that....it's an HP.... Usually when you call tech support they want $50 bucks and can't talk English....

I am going out on a limb here the last couple days...I lost the front and largest burner on my stove.... under a glass top...I ordered an element and plan to install it myself...My husband said "Good Luck"...[I think he will help me] The darn repair men want $140 to show up....
smiley7.gif

Hope my computer hangs in there....I like my old girl....as big and clumsy and awkward as she is.

Northern Winos said:
" No comprendo"

Our computer was making a nasty sound yesterday morning...shut her down and it restarted with out the grinding. We looked a new computer at the store yesteday...a DELL,it had a 22" screen and Vista...I shrugged and thought..."these old brains can't do this"..we walked away....

I know the day will soon come that I have to upgrade to a new computer...but..."Please God!!!" "Let me get our taxes done and then go on from there."
smiley1.gif
My sentiments exactly, NW. That's why I say there is no room left in this old brain for this tech stuff. I'm lucky I can still make wine!!!!
smiley4.gif

NW, you can get a new fan from any computer store like circuit city, staples, anything like that or any local place that fixes computers. Thats whats good about desktops, everything is replaceable.
Waldo, sorry to hear about this and this is why I strayed from Vista and bought the last 2 laptops I could find that had XP on them, not to mention they were on sale at BJ's. If you have an XP disk, call Microsoft and see if you can un install Vista and load in that XP. I did this with my sons old desktop that had 2000 pro on it and I didnt like it at all. They walked me through the registration part over the phone as they had to plug in the #'s them selves cause it was a previously used disk. Good luck buddy.

NW, if you want I can hook you up with the guy who built our computer. He used to be the tech contractor in our building, so I knew I could trust him. Haven't had a moment's trouble with ours in the years we've had it. He gave me quotes for several different sized and I went one level up from what I thought we'd need. It's a whole lot cheaper than going to the store to buy one. Everyone once in a while I take it to him to clean it up and upgrade anything I want on it.

Waldo said:
Well, thus far it has been slow and frustrating.....Not sure if I am going to like this Vista. Not much I had on my other system will run on it. My Broadband wireless adapter (2Wire)would not work and had to buy a new one to get online. My Print Shop, Nero, Showbiz, and many other programs will not run on Vista......Bought a Belking easy transfer usb cable to transfer a lot of my files and settings from my old system to the new one and so far it has not done crapola except to keep giving me error messages .....But im going to hang in there and keep plugging away for a while longer before i pack it all up and ship it back to HP or make them send me the XP operating system,

Waldo, Do you have a grandchild living near you? No I'm not kidding! They are breathing the cyber stuff before they are 5.....

There are ways to run both XP and Vista on the same computer, I'm sure there are those on this forum who know how better than I butthe article in the Feb issue of "Computer Shopper" called "dual-boot" your PCdescribes it. If you want to DIY and don't have access to that, PM me andI'll fax or scan it to you.

If you plan to buy a new PC from one of the main big players you can still order a machine from Dell with XP instead of the new problem child named Vista!

Jack on Rainy said:
There are ways to run both XP and Vista on the same computer, I'm sure there are those on this forum who know how better than I butthe article in the Feb issue of "Computer Shopper" called "dual-boot" your PCdescribes it. If you want to DIY and don't have access to that, PM me andI'll fax or scan it to you.

Unless Waldo has programs that only run in Vista or needs some of the new features, there is no reason to use Dual Boot. He has slightly older software and incompatible hardware that is making his transition difficult. He can simply get the new computer setup with XP and be done with the bulk of the problems.

Dual Boot brings it's own headaches. It can be useful if you have a machine that is used almost exclusively for 2 different purposes. If that makes sense. Let's say you wanted to use new features of Vista and bought all new software for it. You would want to use Vista. But then 8 hours out of the day you use an older program that hasn't been ported or rewritten for Vista. Along with that you have a hardware dongle and printer that don't support anything bit XP. In that case you set up the computer for dual boot. Boot it up for the 8 hours with XP and then after hours when you want Vista, reboot into Vista and use that- without the older program,dongle and printer.

Should be clear as mud by now!Edited by: appleman

is this the same thing my wife and I have to different harddrives installed one has her programs and the other has mine,same thing?

It sounds like you guys just have 2 different users set up. You each have your own settings and programs, but they all reside on the same computer using the same drives(but it could be different).

appleman said:
Unless Waldo has programs that only run in Vista or needs some of the new features, there is no reason to use Dual Boot. He has slightly older software and incompatible hardware that is making his transition difficult. He can simply get the new computer setup with XP and be done with the bulk of the problems. </font>
</font>
Dual Boot brings it's own headaches.</font>

I agree 100% with this Apleman, just Format C:/ ............. Re-install XP and get it over with........ Much simpler than dealing with Vista and it's issues with backwards compatibilities........

Since it is a new machine that came with XP won't he have to purchase a new licensed copy of XP to replace the Vista? My understanding is that XP can only be loaded one time since Mr Softie finally was able to stop folks from sharing and stealing a copy of Windows.

I had to call tech support to reinstall. they gave me another group of numbers to put in in order to use my registered copy. I don't know if registering your copy has anything to do with it or not, they didn't seem to make a big deal of it.

Not so! Iupgraded toXP when I had my Dell. When I got my new custom built computer we contacted Bill Gates and got the license switched over to the new computer.

wade said:
If you have an XP disk, call Microsoft and see if you can un install Vista and load in that XP. I did this with my sons old desktop that had 2000 pro on it and I didnt like it at all. They walked me through the registration part over the phone as they had to plug in the #'s them selves cause it was a previously used disk.

[/QUOTE I did this with used version of XP from an older computer that I no longer was using and they didnt give me any problems but they did like Jobe said and gave me new set of reg #'s. I dont even think that you can get XP in stores now can you? I havent seen any in a while.
Edited by: wade

I'm not really computer literate so this might sound like a dumb question but what would happen if you just inserted a Windows XP disc and downloaded it without going thru Microsoft??

Hana:

Not a stupid question at all....

On all installations of XP, you have to put in a serial number that unlocks the program in order to finish the install.

Microsoft, has in their upgrades, added a feature that "Authenticates" your copy of Windows XP. I have to assume, that authenticates means that (over the internet) Microsoft verifies that your copy of XP has a unique identifying serial number, and that it is identified to you, your computer or both. Without the proper serial number, you can not instal windows XP (or other versions).... If you have a bootlegged copy of windows, at some point, microsoft will find you on the internet, verify your serial number, and if found to be bootlegged, they will pull your serial number without notifying you. Upon restarting your computer, it will not start do to no operating system, do to no serial number.

Edited by: jobe05

Thanks for that explanation. I wasn't going to do that but I just wondered why it couldn't be done. Big brother is watching!!!

Latest posts

Back