Taking My Label Making To A New Level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo said:
Well, thus far it has been slow and frustrating.....Not sure if I am going to like this Vista. Not much I had on my other system will run on it. My Broadband wireless adapter (2Wire)would not work and had to buy a new one to get online. My Print Shop, Nero, Showbiz, and many other programs will not run on Vista......Bought a Belking easy transfer usb cable to transfer a lot of my files and settings from my old system to the new one and so far it has not done crapola except to keep giving me error messages .....But im going to hang in there and keep plugging away for a while longer before i pack it all up and ship it back to HP or make them send me the XP operating system,

Can you just take your hard drive out of the old box and run it in a master/slave configuration? It would sure beat the heck out of shipping the new machine back.

dkennedy, that's what I usually do when I get a new computer. I typically make the HDD from the old computer the slave, but there's no reason that the old drive can't be the master.

All in all, however, this thread is a good illustration of why I use Linux for my day-to-day home use.

PeterZ said:
dkennedy, that's what I usually do when I get a new computer. I typically make the HDD from the old computer the slave, but there's no reason that the old drive can't be the master.

Peter the problem with using the old drive as the master in the new computer is that the windows registry would see too great of a hardware change and force you to call Microsoft to verify that you had indeed made a major hardware change. I think Waldo is in deep doo about now with that new computer - haven't heard him on here in a couple days now.

Another problem I have found with using the transfer of settings and files from an old computer is that usually I upgrade when I'm beginning to have major software issues. If you transfer settings- the old problems come forward to the new computer.

Where's Waldo?

Well Applemman, I was thinking there was a setting that you could select from which hard drive the computer would boot from. I'd still opt for running my old hard dive if it meant pulling the new one out and putting it in the closet until I had to upgrade to Vista - That being said, I'm still using Win 2K; so what do I know?
smiley36.gif

Peter- I admire you guys (and gals) that are blazing the way for the rest of us who desire to get out from under the corporate thumb of Microsoft without having to shell out the big bucks for a Mac. Call me when you're done.

Welcome home again Waldo...... Nice to see ya.

Did you end up steaming the new computer and starting back up the old one?

Welcome back Waldo! WE've missed you! So good to have you back offering all the newbies tasting expertise
smiley32.gif

For you relatively new guys-

Waldo is a master at photo shop. We were shown that picture about a year ago. Although he would love to have that setup alas it just might not be all him or his storage- although pieces and parts are all his
smiley2.gif

Photo Shop Master, Poet Laureate, Muscadine Monster, Santa,Traditional Flutist...would be hard to describe him to someone not familiar with him. Glad he's back!
smiley32.gif

APPLEMAN???FOUND OUT THERE ARE TWO SEPERATE HARDDRIVES WE WORK OFF OF
smiley1.gif

Thanks all....So very good to be back. The Vista challenge continues but in the end I am actually beginning to believe it will all have been worth it.....maybe..........at least part of it anyway. Early on, in my detection of items I had tht would not work with Vista was my 2 Wire, USB Adapter for DSL. I went toWally World in search of one that was Vista comaptible and while there I saw a Westighouse 22" HD Monitor that a$298.00 price tag that was marked down to $148.00 ( Display with no cables or box) I looked it over, knew the cables and power cord I had on my 19" Samsung would work so I snatched it up. Tell me getting up at 1:30am doesn't pay of heheheheEdited by: Waldo

Nice find there! Man do you just know how to step in----->
Edited by: wade

Latest posts

Back