Table height for siphoning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100LL

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im looking to either purchase or build a table that will hold 3 carboys of wine. In the past i've carried the full carboys downstairs and let them settle for another week before bottling.
What would you suggest as a good height for this table so that i can avoid moving my carboys around prior to bottling.

If you siphon (not sure of the seplling here...), You want the bottom of your donating carboy (the one on the table) to be higher than the top of the receiving carboy. So I'd say about 3'' if you're using 6 gal carboys.
If you use a pump, height doesn't matter

Hope this helped!

Jeff

Thanks. I've been using the kitchen countertops for now. Which always worked out just fine. Trying to get a table that is minimal but sturdy enough.....i know that can be hard to find. :)

Thanks. I've been using the kitchen countertops for now. Which always worked out just fine. Trying to get a table that is minimal but sturdy enough.....i know that can be hard to find. :)

for 3 carboys I use to use a 4 foot folding plastic table I bought at Costco, I now use a 6'' one and it's not as sturdy...

that could work. im trying to find one made of wood so that it at least sort of looks like the wine rack up there.
Although for the time being that is a good idea.

You could always try on of those Black and Decker bench tables. The ones that fold up and you can hand crank to make the top wider. Place a counter top on top of it or do one at a time.

I know what you mean, I frequently would carry carboys upstairs just for the convenience of having more room, light etc. Up and down the steps over and over...........getting tired of that.

If you build a table I would suggest using the 4 x 4 posts and use 2 x 6's for support around the perimiter and even down the center.

How about a hollow core door set on cinder blocks--Cheap

Semper Fi

Later Bud

That's a great idea! I happen to have a SOLID door laying arounf in the garage!
I got my week-end project now ! :)

Hi guys. Im looking to either purchase or build a table that will hold 3 carboys of wine. In the past i've carried the full carboys downstairs and let them settle for another week before bottling.
What would you suggest as a good height for this table so that i can avoid moving my carboys around prior to bottling.

I mounted a 10' section of countertop on a sturdy 2x4 frame at 36" height to hold the carboys. I also got a Invacare vacuum pump to rack/degas. I put the carboy where I want it while it's empty, xfer wine to it and never pick it up when it's full.

Life is good :sm

Johnspictures059.jpg
[/IMG] You may want to make one wider, but this one works for me. I just put a carboy on the floor, and tranfer, or pump from one to and empty carboy.

Latest posts

Back