TA acid text PH meter method/calc?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From an industry point of view, it would be wasting time unless it was for a paper in Journal of Food science and even there since the goal is for the audience to believe a foot note pointing out that grape and country wine follow the rule would pass.
What I find kind of odd tho is that it is accepted to use technically incorrect terminology- even by professionals.
90E47396-8BD5-4E4F-B386-5759F4A37EF7.jpeg
the key is TA is a tool which is useful in producing acceptable product

Aye!

(These things need to be understood. But someday, it's gets a little deep for my ol brain. Kinda like taking a shower with a fire hose. You need to know and understand but...it make my head hurt sometimes.) :slp

Totally out of my depth here but don't different countries use different acids as their basis for TA, (grams of WHICH acid/L of wine?) so here , in the USA, TA is based on tartaric acid but France uses sulfuric acid as the measure and I think that in cider making the grams of acid are based on malic acids. And that meant that to modify TA you need to add so many g of acids AS IF you were adding tartaric or malic (depending on what acid you were basing the g/L on) to the wine and those amounts would be different. Or do I have this all wrong?

YES . . . . . . . and it is easy calculate to other systems if needed for compatibility
Totally out of my depth here but don't different countries use different acids as their basis for TA, (grams of WHICH acid/L of wine?) so here , in the USA, TA is based on tartaric acid but France uses sulfuric acid as the measure and I think that in cider making the grams of acid are based on malic acids. And that meant that to modify TA you need to add so many g of acids AS IF you were adding tartaric or malic (depending on what acid you were basing the g/L on) to the wine and those amounts would be different. Or do I have this all wrong?

No, that sounds right. Review Stick's posts #11, 14, and 17 in this thread where he confirms your understanding and even gives the conversions.

Latest posts

Back