Sweet Meed from finevinewines recipe index

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I just got back from the store. I purchased the Lalvin 71B-1122 and Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast. I used the Champagne yeast initially. Should I stick with this or use the 71B?

Do you foresee any adverse effects from using the 71B after I used the Champagne that never took?

No I think you'll be fine, but if you are concerned go on and use the other instead.

vcasey said:
Blueberry meads (mels) or very nice!
For the starter take a 1/2 - 1 cup of your must add the yeast & energizer add back to the rest of the must in a couple of hours. Since its a 1 gallon batch you just need to get it a little jump start. You may want to get the temps to 70 that will help as well.

Ok vcasey, I did it! I had 2 1 gallon batches filled to 3/4 each. Therefore, from each carboy, I took 1/2 cup and placed in separate cups each with 1/4 tsp of energizer. Mixed vigorously and then added a package to each glass of the 71B Yeast. I then placed coffee filters over the glasses to keep dust out.

I will let you know how it went.
smiley16.gif

Yesterday I pitched the 71B yeast after waiting several hours. It didn't take long for the airlock to bubble. Last night it went about every 5-6 seconds for a bubble. This morning, it is every 3-4 seconds.

Readings:
1.080SG @ 66F (Corrected 1.081SG)

Are these readings true if I see little tiny bubbles in suspension? I know the yeast is releasing a lot of CO2!

Thanks vcasey!
smiley32.gif

Thanks Bert - he caught the extra tablet dosage. Glad its bubbling and seems to be moving along. The SG reading could be correct, sometimes it moves down nice & steady and other times it sky dives.
time to order those books form George!

If you bring the temp. up a bit [I like 72* to 74* ] ...It will ferment better, especially toward the end....It does sound like things are off and running....Good Luck....
smiley20.gif

Thanks Bert,
The current temp is 70 degrees. I got the mead upstairs where it is warmer but at night, the temps drop a little. It stays within 66-72 degrees right now. Summer will be here soon enough and I will wish I could have 66-72 degrees. Live in Chesapeake VA, about 30 minutes from NC. Bubbling every 1-2 seconds now. I gave it a good shake this morning.

Checked reading this afternoon.
1.060SG @ 72F

I added 1/4tsp of energizer to each jug. Things are chugging along.

Today I did my first rack of the honey mead. I then added 1/4 tsp of energizer.

Readings: SG is 1.026 @ 71F (corrected 1.027)
Now directions say to leave for 3-4 weeks till it reaches 1.000.

Hope you don't mind a question. Before, I had 2 1 gallon carboys filled 3/4 full to allow space for the fermentation. Is it ok to do the same this time around? I assumed it was until all fermentation has stopped and the SG reaches 1.000.

I gave it a taste, and it is really good so far! Thanks for all your help!

(Welcome to the forum.) As a general rule, when the SG gets down around 1.000, the fermentation either almost finished or sometimes already finished. At the time, the yeast are not putting off as much CO2, so that when you have a large air space (ullage) you risk ill effects from oxygen because you might not have the protective CO2 layer. To reduce the risk, it is common practice to keep the fluid level close to the top of the carboy. There are several options: combine into one appropriately sized carboy; put in two different size carboys; top up with a finished product of the same type; or put sanitized marbles in one of the carboys to displace the liquid. (Oh yeah, some people buy a CO2 or argon gas bottle and put a layer of gas in the carboy.) I've done both on different batches, topped up with a finished wine and used marbles. You might see if your mead will fit in one 1-gallon and one 1/2-gallon.

We never mind questions!
I generally top off and put the extra in 1/2 gallon jugs or wine bottles. And once it reaches 1.000 or so most of the more volatile fermentation has stopped so you can safely top off. I keep the extra, down sizing as necessary to use to top off my mead.
BTW, I always make extra so I have some left over for topping off. Just make sure you allow it to clear as well as make sure it gets stabilized and such, just in case you decide to bottle the extra.

Back