Superkleer question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I used Super-Kleer on a Mead. A week later, I siphoned off the sediment from the Super-Kleer and bottled. Trying not to waste good wine, I put the last little remaining bit of Mead + sediment into a separate bottle to let it resettle, so that I could just carefully pour it off later.

After that one bottle sat on the Super-Kleer sediment for an extra week, I popped it open and poured a glass. It tasted quite bad, so I also popped open a bottle from the main batch that didn't sit on the Super-Kleer that extra week. The main batch tasted much better.

So finally my question: does wine take on a unwanted taste for sitting on Super-Kleer even for just one week too long?

Follow up question: is there a clarifier that I should use that isn't as time sensitive?

How big was the separate bottle that you used with the sediment in it? The mead could have taken on some of the sediment taste if there was quite a bit in relation to the leftover mead.

It was a standard 750 ml bottle. Would 1 week really have an autolyzing (sp) effect?

it was not the fining agent that caused the bad taste it was the sediment. it would contain dead yeast and other bad sediment whose flavor would eventually affect the mead.

Latest posts

Back