Super Jet Filters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton167can

Junior
Reaction score
Hello

Just finished bottling my 5th and 6th kit last night, and 3/4 of the way through bottling my filters were too clogged to continue. Luckily I had a spare set to finish the batch.

I just wanted to know if this was normal. The 4 other kits that I have done I only bottled single kits so this was not an issue, I am simply curios whether or not I should be expecting to only bottle 1 kit per set of filters.

I also would like to know if it is necessary to soak the filters before using, I did do this all the times I have bottled, but it seems like I may be wasting a bunch of finished product to make sure that the filters are still not water logged.

Any info regarding this would be helpful.

I am not sure if this background info will help but, the kits I finished last night were Kenridge Showcase Shiraz 45 day kit which tasted really good and Cheeky Monkey Shiraz/Zinfandel 30 day kit which also tasted good but not as good as the KR. The other kits I have done in the past are

Wine Expert 45 day Cab Sav
Cheeky Monkey Chile Malbec - 30 day
En Primeur Cab Sav - 45 day
Ken Ridge Rosso Grande - 45 day
Cheeky Monkey - Valipolicella 30 day

I have been using a super jet for years. Here are some tips,

1) do you place the "syphon" end of the filter all of the way down to the bottom and then start filtering? Try placing the hose 1/3 of the way down and lower it as the level of wine drops. This will allow you to save the highest concentration of sediment for the end.

2) What level of filters are you using? The come in three grades..

(blue) is meant for the initial filtration and is the most course.

(Red) is less course and a whole lot tighter filtration. I normally stop here for reds.

(Green) is the tightest filter and I usually will use this to polish/sterilize my whites.

If you start with the blue and work your way up, you should have less of a problem.

3) Years ago, I measured the amount of water the three filters absorb. This amounts to exactly 500ml of water. This water will be the first thing out of your filter. I normally take the first 800ml from the press and dump it down the sink.

Yes I place the syphon end about 1/4 of the way down and continually adjust as the carboy level decreases.

The filters that I am using are a Red #2 filter. Will I notice much of a differnence between the final product between a red and blue filter?

Buon Vino does not recommend bottling direct from their filters. I have heard that the starting and stopping can cause the filters to shift and some of the sediment to come loose.

when I ran a Ferment on Premises, I used the Super Jet for filtering only. Sometimes I'd only get 3 or 4 kit batches thru a set of pads, other times I'd get more. Not sure what the max reached was. Usually managed to get more whites done than reds. Depended a ot on which kits. The ones with grape skins were the worst. I would do some nonskin reds, then one grape skin kit. But an FoP can't usually let a customer's kit sit for a long time.

Steve

First off i found out that if you rack 1 last time before filtering it makes the filter last longer . Myself I do that about a week ahead of time now ,so if there's anything left it will settle out before I filter . Plus you are never suppose to use your filter to bottle the wine . The most I have done at 1 time is 3 wines ,i only use the middle grade filter.

Buon Vino does not recommend bottling direct from their filters. I have heard that the starting and stopping can cause the filters to shift and some of the sediment to come loose.

when I ran a Ferment on Premises, I used the Super Jet for filtering only. Sometimes I'd only get 3 or 4 kit batches thru a set of pads, other times I'd get more. Not sure what the max reached was. Usually managed to get more whites done than reds. Depended a ot on which kits. The ones with grape skins were the worst. I would do some nonskin reds, then one grape skin kit. But an FoP can't usually let a customer's kit sit for a long time.

Steve

Yeah - your are right. I don't bottle right from the filter either. I will filter and let it sit for a couple more weeks before bottling.

I also agree - I normally filter and bottle as separate tasks several weeks apart.

You should notice a bit of a difference between the blue and red filter packs, however, you still should try and get as much sediment as possible through racking.

What is the reasoning behind not filterting at the time of bottling?

Also I do not filter directly into bottles, I filter into a holding container and fill from there, this allows me to run the pump continuosly without turning on and off. But the time the wine sits in the holding container after being filtered is only a few minutes before being transfered into bottles.

What is the reasoning behind not filterting at the time of bottling?

Also I do not filter directly into bottles, I filter into a holding container and fill from there, this allows me to run the pump continuosly without turning on and off. But the time the wine sits in the holding container after being filtered is only a few minutes before being transfered into bottles.

If this is what you do, then your should be OK.

I normally wait. I find that the filter puts a lot of stress on the wine and I like to give it a little time to recover. In other words, the filter has just applied (at times) 20psi of pressure to ram the wine through the plates. In this process, I find that there are "micro-bubbles" are produced that take some time to clear.

Giving the wine a little time might not help, but it could not hurt.

If this is what you do, then your should be OK.

I normally wait. I find that the filter puts a lot of stress on the wine and I like to give it a little time to recover. In other words, the filter has just applied (at times) 20psi of pressure to ram the wine through the plates. In this process, I find that there are "micro-bubbles" are produced that take some time to clear.

Giving the wine a little time might not help, but it could not hurt.

Yup - i agree..

Thats the beauty of the Enolmatic filler/filter. Its all one step and works great.

With that being said I also have the mini jet filter. A couple of times when I filtered into a primary bucket or carboy and then bottled I also had those extra bubbles at the top of each bottle. I never really thought about it until you mentioned it now. Most of the time a waited a day or two.

And I was about to buy a filter to use for bottling. Glad I read this post. Do I have to admit to the wife that I don't need it for this purpose? Or find another reason and just do it?

Latest posts

Back