Sulfiting crushed grape must vs juice must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinobrotha

Junior
Reaction score
When Sulfiting crushed grape must do I add potassium metabisulfite by volume of grape must or by calculate volume of wine?

Sulfite according to the vol you are sulfiting.
(its activity is linked to the pH)

Last edited:
Are you talking about treating the grapes that have just been crushed?

If so, I usually add 1 teaspoon for every 3 lugs (1 lug = 36 pounds). I also wait a day before pitching my yeast.

If you are dealing with bucket juice, consult who you purchased it from. Many times bucket just comes already sulfited.

Its says that amount per 5 gallons of MUST. 3 lugs can make anywhere from 10 to 14 gallons of must depending on if you have to water it back down to earth.

Sorry I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to learn.
So if grapes are crushed at Home Brew Store, do you put potassium metabisulfite in at crush based on Must volume then get home and test for Brix and if acidulated water is needed add more potassium metabisulfite based on the volume difference.
Tks

I take 3 lugs from the crusher, drop a level teaspoon on top of it, then work it in to the must using a punch down tool.

The reason for doing this is to stun any existing wild yeast (and/or bacteria). Once 24 hours passes, the level of free SO2 will drop considerably, making it safe to introduce yeast.

If you find that you need to add water, I would add it AFTER the 24 hour waiting period and add no additional k-meta until after fermentation / MLF is complete.

Back