Sulfiter vs Spray Bottle for Sanitizing Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravelloview

Junior
Reaction score
After I have cleaned my wine bottles with BBrite and let them dry, I am just wondering if I can get away with not buying the sulfiter and either turning a wine bottle upside down and spraying sulfite solution into it or keeping wine bottle upright and spraying down. If I can, do I put it on spray mist or stream?

I have used every conceivable method before using a sulfiter. All worked although some more efficiently and easier on my patience than others. Since using a sulfiter I have never looked back it is a genuine time saver. The other addition i would never be without again looking back is a bottle tree.

If I have a gallon or so of something to bottle (5 or 6 bottles), I just spritz the bottle (held sideways) three or four times with my spray bottle and invert it on a rack to drain. If I am bottling a whole carboy or more, I use my Vinator.

What methods do you guys use?
I use 1tsp per 4 litre then spray my bottles let it drip for 30 mins on the tree and then I fill them with wine. Sometimes I wonder if I should spray and let it drip dry till the next day and then fill them.

OK to little should be one Tbsp, but what do you do afterwards, once you spray your bottle? Do you let it dry out or do you give it one fast cold rinse and then let it dry before bottling..
I use to let it drip 10-30 minutes on the tree then bottle even if there was a little liquid left in the bottle. Then i though to myself maybe its not a good idea.

Last edited:
After I sanitize, I let mine dry on the bottling tree before bottling. I have to give them a turn on there at some point because on many bottles with an abrupt slope to the neck, the water will pool if on the tree. I've let them dry for as little as a couple of hours before bottling and I didn't have any noticeable effect. I usually let them dry at least a day though.

I would probably love the sulphiter if i had one but I have too much clutter as it is so I just use the spray bottle. 5-10 shots of kmeta (3 tablespoon/4 liter) then let it drip dry vertical in a rack for a few hours.

I figure any residual will just help to protect the wine for long term aging.

Last edited:
My mistake from the beginning, checked my notes, it should be one tablespoon of potassium metabisulfite per one liter.

After I have cleaned my wine bottles with BBrite and let them dry, I am just wondering if I can get away with not buying the sulfiter and either turning a wine bottle upside down and spraying sulfite solution into it or keeping wine bottle upright and spraying down. If I can, do I put it on spray mist or stream?

This is a bit more costly though it is easier than the traditional sulfitier
I use 1 tsp of citric acid and 1 tsp of sulfite per gallon ( the acid drops the ph so less sulfite needed ) no rinse, drip dry upside down

DSCN2140 [620x465].JPG

Slightly off topic but for everyone who uses a spray bottle i have a question.

I have herd (and experienced) that k-meta solution makes metals corrode quickly, so you cant use the spray bottles with a metal spring inside them that contacts the solution.

How did you find one that the metal spring does not contact? How could you tell? I have found many spray bottles but its impossible to see whether or not the spring touches the fluid used in it.

I have also herd that any amount of rust in wine can ruin it, so as such if a metal spring touching spray bottle was used, would you then indeed be risking the wine you make?

New_Guy_Brad said:

I have herd (and experienced) that k-meta solution makes metals corrode quickly, so you cant use the spray bottles with a metal spring inside them that contacts the solution.

How did you find one that the metal spring does not contact? How could you tell? I have found many spray bottles but its impossible to see whether or not the spring touches the fluid used in it.

I have also herd that any amount of rust in wine can ruin it, so as such if a metal spring touching spray bottle was used, would you then indeed be risking the wine you make?

After this question I have a question please. I use the spray bottle technique but with star san, so will that cause rust and corrosion on metal as k meta could. Thanks

I bought $1.50 spray bottle at dollar store 3 years ago. It's had sulfite in it since then with no problems or signs of rust/corrosion.

Hold on a sec and I'll check ... Yep, looks like the spring is inside the flow.

FWIW, I have two of these. One has 3Tbsp k-meta per gallon. The other has 3Tbsp k-meta + 1tsp citric acid per gallon. Both appear to be just like new.

Hold on a sec and I'll check ... Yep, looks like the spring is inside the flow.

FWIW, I have two of these. One has 3Tbsp k-meta per gallon. The other has 3Tbsp k-meta + 1tsp citric acid per gallon. Both appear to be just like new.

Alright thank you. Looks like the one i picked up at home depot will do the trick then. I was going nuts trying to find one with a spring that didnt contact the solution.

Guess I'm in over kill mode. I pre sanitize all my bottles before storing them, then when ready to bottle I fill the bottle 1/3 with K-meta & shake 20 times, then put on the drying rack & bottle 3-4 hrs later. I use fresh K-meta every 12 bottles, 3 tbls. per gallon. Roy

Guess I'm in over kill mode. I pre sanitize all my bottles before storing them, then when ready to bottle I fill the bottle 1/3 with K-meta & shake 20 times, then put on the drying rack & bottle 3-4 hrs later. I use fresh K-meta every 12 bottles, 3 tbls. per gallon. Roy

Wow... I only use 1 tbs Potassium Metabisulphate per gallon as per instructions.
about 5 min before I put the wine in the bottles. never had a problem.

Okay back on topic... what the heck is a "Sulfiter"?

Latest posts

Back