Sulfates Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I currently have a fair amount of wine that in carboys that are getting close to bottling time. I don't have any equipment to accurately measure SO2 levels, but have gone by basing the wine's pH to adding SO2 on a 6 month schedule. (Approximately 1/4 tsp per six months in the carboy.)

If a wine in question has enough SO2 based on the above theory, but will probably age in the bottle for at least 6 months before the first bottle is opened and would be drunk over the course of a maximum 2 years, how much SO2 should be added at bottling time? Storage is a fairly consistent low 60's F.

I know I need to invest in equipment, but in either regard is additional SO2 needed at bottling based on a projected life of the wine?

Thanks for any understanding you can provide.

Tony

I think your approach would be fine, provided you don't open your carboy very often over the course of the 6 months or longer, as you age it for extended periods. I assume all or most of your wine is red, which is why you want to age it. With white wine, however, I find sulfiting easier because you can easily determine the approximate SO2 levels by using SO2 titrets that are relatively cheap (I believe $14 would get you 10 tests), compared to more expensive (but far more reliable) equipment such as some of Vinmetrica devices.

Depending on the state of your wine (pH and tendency to develop mold and/or other bacteria) as well as how soon you want to drink it after bottling it you can add anywhere from 1/4 tsp/gal, as you have been doing, to virtually none at bottling. Personally, if I keep up with a sulfiting schedule in my wines, I rarely add more than a dash of K-meta at bottling, though I am very scrupulous when it comes to cleaning and sanitizing bottles and corks.

Back in the day when I was a complete noob who never had heard of K-meta, I used to just wash my carboys clean with hot water and baking soda, whereby none of about a dozen batches of wine ever spoiled on me, even after spending months in a bottle. Of course, you don't want your time and hard work to go to waste, so precautions have to be taken, though don't stress too much about the exact numbers.

Back